Every single warning light... With a question at the end.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kraM
My Cars:

Every single warning light... With a question at the end.

Post by kraM »

Hi
The other day I was enjoying a nice drive in torential weather in my reasonable trusty C5 Estate (2002 2.2HDi).
There was loads of standing water, I was impressed with the stability control, flashing away, telling me all was well, that it had my back and I could relax, through an anavoidable bigger puddle and the ba*tard thing threw its toys out of the pram.
The display told me the ESP and TCS had failed, the Anti Pollution had failed, the Service light came on and it went into limp home mode. Which is great on a single carriage way in a national, with everyone really happy that you've suddenly slowed from 60 to 40, and that's down hill.
So I pulled over, switched her off, then on again, and the ESP / TCS decided to start work, all other faults remained, so I set off as a mobile road block, only for full power to be suddenly restored, just as knackerd old transit was wheezing past me. I don't think he was overly impressed by the then 40 now 70 mph citroen!
Anyway, the power and anti-pollution kept coming and going throughout the journey, until I pulled into my friendly garage, and then it righted it's self, everything returned to normal.
Is there a known connector that doesn't like being driven in wet weather? Or am I going to have to pull everything apart and clean it all out?

Any help would be greatly appricated.

P.S. On another Citroen site, there was talk of 'chipping' the ECU, to make it think that there was no anti-pollution control thing, and boosting out put to 180bhp & 400Nm. Has anyone ever heard of that, and if so, is it worth it, or will it buggar up the ECU?

Thank you,

Mark
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

For an engine failure that results in LIMP mode the ESP/ASR will fail together with the Anti Pollution Message.

So in reality you really only have problem to worry about i.e why did the engine go into LIMP mode.

To find that out you really need to get it on an analyser and get the fault codes read.
However it's a 2.2 and I would bet even money that the analyser would show Turbo Overboost which usually happens because the vacuum control line to the Turbo actuator has a hole in it.
Going further it's a 2002 if it hasn't already had a new swirl valve diaphragm it's probably overdue and a swirrl valve diaphragm with holes in it will cause random Turbo Overboost.

Search this site for swirl valves you will find a lot of info on how to do some elimination without having the codes read.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Is it not common for C5 Mk1s to have issues with water ingress. I think it gets into the airbox. Have a look for a damp filter.
I think the mod involved rerouting the air intake and drilling holes in the bottom of the air box so the water could drain out.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
kraM
My Cars:

Post by kraM »

Thank you very much for all your help, I will be having a look this weekend.

Mark