406 radiator hose help

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jameswithapug
My Cars:

406 radiator hose help

Post by Jameswithapug »

Hi can anyone help. Im trying to change the Rad on my 1998 2.1 and cant get the bottom hose off. I got a second hand rad out the scrap yard and had the same problem so cut the hose but cant do that now. Iv removed the metal clip but no joy so can i detatch the rubber hose where it joins the metal pipe and then get it out of the rad once its out of the car? If not whats the best method for getting the hose out of the rad, iv tried levering it with a screw driver but its just bending the coller. Thanks.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

They corrode in sometimes :(

You can try a little light lubricating oil (in the metal clip part, not the hose itself)

Usually when I replace a radiator on a 406 I warn them they will probably need a bottom hose too, or you can break the plastic around the old radiator to save the bottom hose.

Try to clean the metal stub up if you do this when you have the hose off and replace the o-ring.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Jameswithapug
My Cars:

Post by Jameswithapug »

Thanks sorted now. Brute force was all that was needed. Was very corroded and looks like it might be leaking a bit now though so may yet need a bottom hose.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i had this on my XANT the metal lip that retains the seal rusted away so had to fit a new hose, i think it was around £40 quid ish from the dealer,

i also firstly tried the second hand rad route which i bought from a local indy like myself,

but whoever took it from the car choped the bottom hose so i had to remove that, it was so rusty it damaged the insised of the plastic kneck of the rad,

kept leaking so ended up with new rad also,

regards malcolm
Jameswithapug
My Cars:

Post by Jameswithapug »

I got lucky went to the scrap yard to get some other bits and the car had a brand new rad fitted, could'nt have been more than a couple of weeks old. Mine was'nt leaking then but looked like it had seen better days so i grabed it for later. Best bit it was only £20! 8-)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I had a right game with the rad bayonets on my Activa. they are a huge problem and you need to get the bayonet sparkly clean else it won't fit back in the new rad snugly.

I don't know if it applied to the 2.1TD 406 but on the Xantia 2.1TD the rad can be removed with the bottom hose attached if it is first disconnected at the engine end. At least then the hose can be dealt with more easily.

Sadly this is only possible because the hose is plain. All other Xantia fitments have a tee in it going to the expansion tank.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...