Smell in car

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Smell in car

Post by daviemck2006 »

Hi. Got a bit of a smelly problem (the car, not me!) and wondering if anyone can suggest something to help. The c5 was round the back, on axle stands for a while recently. The next door neighbour asked me if i had seen her cat,she had not seen it for 2 days. I looked in sheds out back and then spotted it in the car, must have sneaked in when I was working on it and got shut in. What a mess in car. It had peed,pooped and sprayed everywhere and about half its fur all over seats. Cat was ok but a bit frightened. Trouble is, despite hoovering, cleaning, shampooing seats, taking seats out and scrubing them, carpets, door cards and headlining the smell is still lingering. Air freshners will not mask it. Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of the stink? Thanks.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

Look out for some odour foggers , similar to the aircon cleaners you let of in the car , this MAY help . Failing that you colud try some odour enzyme killer which I think is injected into the seats/upholstry left overnight and shampoo/vaccum out , I'll try and get a little more info for you

Mark
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

There are specific 'pet odour' removers for upholstery, which are probably essentially the same as bxzx'z suggestion. Google turns up several such products.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

An Ozone generator if you can get hold of one.

Something like this one if you can borrow or hire one.

Only needs about forty minutes to an hour.
Leave it too long and it will destroy the rubber in the window seals etc.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

You could try selling it to your cat loving neighbours, they wouldn't notice the pong. :) G
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oh dear, a bit of a cat-astrophe...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
stevenc75

Post by stevenc75 »

Are you sure it's a C5 and not a Catillac? :roll:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, and the cat had something of an emissions problem by the sound of it...

Did the car raise an anti-pollution fault? Or perhaps that should have been a pollution fault..

All joking aside, what a horrible thing to have happen :( I can't think of a worse thing to happen :evil:

Years ago I spilled a carton of milk in my MG Metro in Cyprus and that smell lingered for ever. Nothing really got rid of it... If that car still exists today I bet it still smells...

I trust all the suggestions made so far help to eradicate the cattiness in short time...

One thing is for sure, I'll be the cat never goes near the car ever again. My cats learned that a sinker Xantia was not a good place to hide and even though all my Xantias are now all anti-sink they won't go near them but that does not stop them playing hide 'n' seek under conventionally sprung cars...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Tell me about it - our cat got shut in my office several months ago - and I can still smell it! :oops:

Peter
stevenc75

Post by stevenc75 »

CitroJim wrote:All joking aside, what a horrible thing to have happen :( I can't think of a worse thing to happen :evil:
I can, it could have been the neighbour p**** and s***** in the car for two days. #-o

[Edited to remove vulgar words]
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

My advice (depending on the value of the car) is to either scrap the car, or strip out the entire interior and replace it with some from a breaker (maybe an excuse for an upgrade to leather?).
mendedit
My Cars:

Post by mendedit »

You could try ZOFLORA concentrated disinfectant as our grandmothers use, has a very strong fragrance almost pungent neat,
Kills 99.9%of bacteria & viruses,
Available at the supermarket, a tiny bottle in tiny box.
and if that's not good enough try Jayes Fluid! :shock:
The world is full of them and a lot are in
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mendedit wrote: and if that's not good enough try Jayes Fluid! :shock:
That's not such a bad thought. Jeyes is a bit pungent in itself but arguably better than the current stink...
Jim

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I'm not sure that disinfectants would work particularly well, as the smell isn't primarily bacterial but chemical.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's going to be similar to forensic cleaning. Perhaps DG has some contacts to ask about their processes/preferred chemicals?