One for for the computer fixers? Replacing laptop screen

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

One for for the computer fixers? Replacing laptop screen

Post by addo »

Dell Inspiron 1525, busted display. It's a friend's and I haven't seen the damage yet.

How much do you normally have to replace - just the display, or the backlight/inverter/ribbon etc? Are they plug and play, or does one need a soldering iron (I have a Weller station with very fine tip)?

Cheers, Adam.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Having stood on my Toshiba 3 days after getting it (got it from an insurance claim after ex's cat dropped a bed on my previous one, which was an insurance claim after ex dropped my older one down the stairs) I decided another insurance claim wouldn't be a good thing.
I'd got it for £150 less than the money the insurance game me so used that money to buy a new screen and fitted it myself.

It's a complete unit that fits in the bezel with normally a multi pin connector (think small version of IDE).
The hardest part is working out exactly how much you need to take apart to replace it.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I haven't replaced a 1525 LCD specifically but if its like the majority of screens, its just a case of peeling off the screw covers on the surround, undoing the screws and taking it off.

There is a flat plastic ribbon on the back which needs carefully pulling out along with a two pin cable at the bottom that connects to the inverter.

There's usually then a bracket which screws to each side of the LCD Panel, take these out and volia!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
trooper30
My Cars:

Post by trooper30 »

Xac wrote:Having stood on my Toshiba 3 days after getting it (got it from an insurance claim after ex's cat dropped a bed on my previous one,.
Dam! How big was the bloody cat! :shock:
2000 Xantia Hdi
2006 Laguna DCi
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hear pussy nice pussy down boy i said down :dom:

i couldnt find a smiley with miss whip lash whealding a chair so a bear will have to do :lol:

so you outted the ex because of here big -----------cat :roll:

regards malcolm
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

trooper30 wrote:
Xac wrote:Having stood on my Toshiba 3 days after getting it (got it from an insurance claim after ex's cat dropped a bed on my previous one,.
Dam! How big was the bloody cat! :shock:
Was only a little kitty.
Laptop was on diningroom table, bed was flat packed against the wall and the cat climbed up it the wall side tipping it over onto the table and laptop.
This happened nearly 4 years ago and the laptop lasted until recently as a media pc plugged into the telly.

Got rid of the ex as she was a violent alcoholic leach who attacked me so badly I had to defend myself with a single slap. Guess which one of us recieved a police caution for battery and the offer of having water thrown over while in the cells?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
trooper30
My Cars:

Post by trooper30 »

Right with ya, I had a visions of a giant cat, sort of Goodies Post Office tower type (for those old enough to remember) droping a cabin bed on your laptop :lol: :lol:
2000 Xantia Hdi
2006 Laguna DCi
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's sounding quite simple; thanks for the pointers.

Will post if/when I attempt the repair. :)
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

It shouldn't be too difficult.

I've done a couple of Toshiba laptop screens. On these there are 4 screws holding the bezel onto the lid. Two of the screws were hidden under little rubber plugs which double up as closing buffers when you snap the lid shut. The bezel then has to prized off with a small screwdriver or knife as it's held in place with lots of click-in-place tongues - if you know what i mean.

from that point it's a matter of looking at what the frame inside is held in with and then, when the frame & screen assembly is out, how the frame is screwed onto the screen. As said above you'll also have disconnect a ribbon or bunched data lead - this might go into the laptop body so be prepared to remove some panels there. The edge illuminator will have to be dosconnected as well.

I'm not sure what comes with a new screen (mine have always been very secind hand!) so you may or may not have to remove the frame and/or illuminator.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

New screens tend to just come with the panel itself along with the attached inverter wire. Ball park price for a standard display is £50-£100.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair