Ball Joint Splitter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaExclusiveHDI
My Cars: Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive Saloon - I can't seem to let her go!

Ball Joint Splitter

Post by XantiaExclusiveHDI »

Hey everyone..

Could anyone recommend a good ball joint splitter? I bought a Sykes Pickavant one - however the jaw is only 19mm wide and wont fit the wishbone front joint :roll:

Thanks!
Currently:
2000 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive Saloon (73k)
Previously:
BX 19 TZD Turbo
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

Hit both sides of the joint at the same time with a couple of good hammers - it'll pop apart.

Where in Staffordshire are you?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Yep, disconnect the drop link end first as this frees up the hub carrier and lower arm a little more.

See my notes under "Taiwanese Ball Joints" in Chat. Yes, a workshop environment but many of the approaches still work on the ground (as in, with the front on stands).
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

If by wishbone front joint you mean the lower hub balljoint then 19mm fits. My one is 19mm and the jaws fit fine.

You just need to be prepared for the pin in the middle of the splitter to shear, if it does replace it with a nut and bolt.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

When using those pullers on lower swivels, do the splitter bolt up near-FT and then wallop the end of the splitter with a club hammer.

The shock will help jolt the joint free and save strain on the puller and the potential of the trouble you had with with your centre pin Toby. Chances are a good clout on a tightened splitter will be enough to shock the joint completely free...

Using a splitter and a hammer like this is a good combination of Dave's double-hammer technique. That one actually does work a treat but requires a bit of practice and a technique. Imagine clapping with two hammers; that's roughly the method!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i find just one club hammer enough but mine you dont catch the swivle boot,

as split dust boots on swivles is comming in as an MOT fail,

if useing the spliter you do have to bash it into place with a hammer,

and again mind you dont catch/pinch that dust boot,

regards malcolm
XantiaExclusiveHDI
My Cars: Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive Saloon - I can't seem to let her go!

Post by XantiaExclusiveHDI »

Hey!

Well my car's been off the road all Summer - but started every week :wink:

I rarely drive anyway in the Summer - well most times really - my Cycle is my main transport nowadays :lol:

Thought Id better get this done during this nice weather - and before Winter strikes.

I had another go with the splitter. There is no way it will fit. I measured the lower ball boot ring clip with a micrometer - it's 24mm. The jaws of my seperator are 19mm - and quite thick on the inner sides - probably a couple of mill. I tried hammering it in - but there is just no way without seriously damaging the boot / clip. I already nicked the boot :oops:

Is there any difference on my car as it's the HDI 110 with 288mm discs?

I see I can get 22m jaw separators - so might try that. Had a go at wallaping the arm by the joint - but no cigar!
Currently:
2000 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive Saloon (73k)
Previously:
BX 19 TZD Turbo
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I have a Sykes lever arm splitter which fits the joint, I take it you have the version where the bolt connects on the top of the ball joint stud?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'd be surprised if you can't buy generic boots to cover for any splittage incurred in separating the stubborn joints.

As a "two hammer" fan, I prefer one lump hammer as a "stopper" and then a regular hammer the other side.