C5 HDi? Whats that about?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

trooper30
My Cars:

C5 HDi? Whats that about?

Post by trooper30 »

Been offered a few C5 Hdi,s recently, went to look at one today which was a 2003 Hdi auto exclusive with 123k on the clock for £900, tempting, but I just dont know enough about them yet.
Now it looks to me like any C5 is worth less and less every week, am seeing 04,s and 05,s going for less than 1k. Now am i right in thinking that its the same Hdi lump in the later Xantias? And if this is the case why arnt C5,s worth more? Would think that having HDi in title would add to its value,.

Am i missing something here? Is the C5 a terrible car hence there so cheap? Or is it Joe public not seeing the value of the letters HDi? Just cant get me head round why a C5 is so worthless, any ideas??
2000 Xantia Hdi
2006 Laguna DCi
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

It's just that people are still put of by the suspension , the number of people who used to say " don't you get alot of trouble with the suspension " my reply was no trouble at all , not to mention citroens are always worth less than their equivelant Ford, Vauxhall and Pug etc , which just means that you can get a newer car for you money

Mark
trooper30
My Cars:

Post by trooper30 »

bxzx16v wrote:It's just that people are still put of by the suspension , the number of people who used to say " don't you get alot of trouble with the suspension " my reply was no trouble at all

Mark
Yup, never had any trouble with any of my Xantias. And yea they will alwasy be cheaper than fords adn the like but it seems to be the C5 especialy that is cheap, some I see go for less than HDi Xantias and as the C5 replaced the Xantia logic says its of more value.
The one I drove today was a real pleasure to drive, loved it, but ended up not buing it as I dont think theres much profit in buying one. I just dont get why there so cheap
2000 Xantia Hdi
2006 Laguna DCi
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I don't think you'd be likely to make much if any profit on a C5 unless you were really lucky but if you want one as a daily driver you could certainly do far worse.

There do seem to be some 'Monday' examples around (boris :( ) but in general they are as hardy as any of the current offerings from other manufacturers, probably better in many respects and available at a lower cost.
colski
My Cars:

Post by colski »

Big Citroens have always been unwanted on the second hand market.

You do get a lot of car for your money when it comes to the C5.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Possible reasons:

1. Ugly
2. It's French
3. Multiplex wiring + French
5. Where's 4?
6. Bloody ugly
7. Uninspiring
4. Here it is
8. Early HDI engines not as refined/lower performance than contemporary engines
9. Did I mention it's ugly?
10. Reports of lots of more than niggly problems (rear window, EGR, DMF, lift pumps, vague brakes, Eolys)
11. Ooo Chinese has been delivered...
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

Not a lover of the C5 then Xac ?

Mark
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Hmm

1, 6 & 9 - eye of the beholder.

Although I think the estate loks much better than the saloon.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

They just look too fish like for my tastes, especially the estate.
The germanic one in tourer doesn't look too bad, but the others have the dishonour of making me think they look worse than the current Mondeo!
:(
How can Citroen produce a car that looks worse than a Mondeo!! It's just not right!

DIY sphere tool
bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

When my wife replaced her Xantia 2.1td she didn't like the look of the C5 either so she's had 2 x Laguna II's and has been very happy with both , though we really missed the Xantia it was a fantastic car , my wife nicknamed one of my two C5's Sherman as she thought it was like a tank, I do quite like the C5 but much prefer the Laguna

Mark
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My eldest son calls mine the Titanic.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I thought of the Laguna 2 (before the megane or mazda nose) to be a great "decendant" to the Xantia, ok it doesn't have the superior suspension, but it does have great looks and massive boot space.
I found it exceedingly comfortable too, clocking up over 76K in 2 years of ownership.
If only they were more reliable :(

DIY sphere tool
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I've no idea why they are worth so little. I've had a few cars in my time, usually bought private or auction and only kept 6 to 8 months then sold on with no loss of value. I paid £1600 for the c5 3 yrs ago, advertised it after 6 months and got no calls. Decided to keep it and have had absolutely no trouble from all the things usually mentioned. Had new battery and alternator and Eolys fluid topped up once, rear brakes now need doing, tried to take calipers off and gave up to leave for another day. Think I'd be lucky to get a grand for it now, but for an everyday car and caravan tow car it's brilliant so it will go till it dies here now
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Where are the 05 plate C5 HDis for £1000? Ill buy them all and sell them on!

I suspect they are either broken, need a lot of work doing of have been to the moon and back. Good ones go for reasonable money.

When I sold my 04plate VTR C5 HDi in Feb this year I got lots of calls from interested people. The first to see the car bought it and put a deposit down. I then had someone else ring and sait they would pay more than the asking price as it was what he was wanting. I obviously couldnt sell it to anyone other than the guy who put the deposit down but I do with I had another 5 C5 HDis to sell! I sold that for £2200 with 81K miles. I think I sold it too cheaply but its a lot more than the prices you have mentioned.

If its a good car with a good advert then they sell very quickly and for decent money.

They are not bad cars, they are very good cars actually. We wouldn't have three of them here if they were bad cars, they do everything we need and want from a car, they are well equipped, good to drive, very economical for a large car, cheap to buy and run, reliable, cover vast mileages without you even knowing. Plus the suspension if far more simple than a Xantia and I wouldn't say they suffer any worse or more time consuming problems than a Xantia either.

Buy one, you should enjoy it 'IF' you get a good one. It might be temping seeing an 05reg C5 for £1000, though you have to think why is it so cheap, is it 5 cars welded together? Has it been around the clock once :lol: So a little extreme but thats just too cheap, there will be a catch. Don't buy the cheapest, buy the best you can afford.

I should really write a C5 buyers guide for this forum, I might get onto that, but there are loads of thread around with what you might need to check for.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
trooper30
My Cars:

Post by trooper30 »

Citroenmad wrote:
Buy one, you should enjoy it 'IF' you get a good one. It might be temping seeing an 05reg C5 for £1000, though you have to think why is it so cheap, is it 5 cars welded together? Has it been around the clock once :lol: So a little extreme but thats just too cheap, there will be a catch. Don't buy the cheapest, buy the best you can afford.
I always get a motor cheap, just got to know where to look m8 :wink:

Seems the petrol C5 is worth less than my left shoe but saw another one last night, a Hdi Exclusive estate on an 04 plate with FSH 116k went for £840, wish I had bought it now. Have to say that even though the C5 is dam ugly the amount of room inside is impressive and was quite impressed with the equipment level and I really loved the dash layout and what a massive boot, and judging by the reaction at the sales when I open the hatch on one last night I recon a lot of people are put of as they don't realise that there a hatchback, if you know nowt about the C5 an easy mistake to make I guess as it looks so much like a saloon.
Well will see if I can snap up the next cheap one I see, i quite fancy running one for a few weeks to see how I get on with it
2000 Xantia Hdi
2006 Laguna DCi