Compatibility?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stekelly
My Cars: 2022 Trafic work van
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
98 Xantia Activa (briefly)
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Compatibility?

Post by Stekelly »

As a follow on to my thread about my SX failing the test and due to the fact im stoney broke at the minute I'm wondering how compatible a couple of bits are if I was to swap them off my Activa in the short termto pass the test then get new parts and fit them to the Activa when I have cash?

The NSF Caliper being the only real sticking point (pardon the pun). Will they be the same, anywhere I could check?
EDIT: just checked Eurocarparts and the discs are a bit different so I assume the calipers will be?

I'm assumign the wishbone on the OSF will be the same? So I could just swap the whole wishbone with the bush on it over then take my time chaning the bush on the one I have off and re fit it to the Activa after. Thats assuming the bush on the Activa is good, will there be noticable play if its gone?

On a slightly different note. I assumeing my 40% brake imbalance is down to the caliper sticking , has anyone doen a diy fix on a caliper before? Is the much involved in refurbishing it?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The calipers will be different Steve.. The Activa either has the 2.1TD caliper if a MK1 or an early MK2 or the 'big' V6/110HDi caliper if a late MK2. Yes, the imbalance will be down to a caliper problem, either directly or indirectly.

It's worth checking that with the pads out it is free to slide to and fro. It's rare but the caliper could be seized on its sliding bolt due to failure of the rubber boot on the top of the bolt. Generally this can be dismantled, cleaned up and greased. Cheek too that the fronts are well bled. You never know, there may be a lot of air in one side.

Otherwise, check that the piston dust boot is in place as if it is not or is torn, the piston may have become corroded and is binding. If this is the case the caliper will need a full rebuild. Generally, if the dust boot is intact the piston will be good. One big advantage of LHM is that it does keep corrosion at bay so what ails many conventional braking systems are mercifully absent on a Xantia.

Also, check that you don't have a seized handbrake cable. They often do and if they seize in the on position this'll upset the automatic adjustment and give the problems you describe. It's a common enough problem as the cables split on the outer sheath where they pass through the guide rings, water gets in and time and oxygen does the rest.

If the handbrake cable is seized, they're easy enough to swap and on a 1.8 not expensive either.

Activa wishbones are again different. I'm not sure if they can be used on a non-Activa model but it's worth a look as the main difference is a tapping and boss for the roll corrector linkages.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

To the best of my observation, Activa LCAs are simply drilled and threaded versions. There's no need for them to be any more stout; anti-roll ram stresses are upon the strut/hub carrier.
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

Cheers.

Bled the brakes at the front today and it feels better, could be imagining it though. Only problem is the only way I'll be able to check if its any different is to put it through the retest. Though I did hear the slight srapign type noise just as its comign to a full stop again after a few miles of driving.

Just on the wishbone bush, there is a bushing of sorts at either end of the wishbone is there not? The trailing arm bush at the rear http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-XANTIA-FR ... 3352a70129 and another one on the wheel end, or is the one in the link the only one thats a bush? On the test sheet it saysWishbones / wb bush worn Offside front, foremost .
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

With the brakes, if you have the time id be taking the calipers off and checking them over, ive done it before for a similar binding issue and its not difficult at all.
I didnt have to rebuild them, just clean an put back together!
I didnt think bushes were terribly expensive, seems alot of work to swap it over as if it fails its all for nought.
Though i do sympathise, I hate Mot time, as it always fails on something at exactly the same time as the backup car breaks, usually a day before needing to be somewhere important!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

This is the other result I get for wishbone bushings on parts sites too. Is this the one at the wheel end of the wishbone or just the centre part of the larger on on its own? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-XANTIA-93 ... 19c61c0360

If its a seperate one, am I aswell just to do both?

Thanks again.

I'm hoping to get a few free hours to get the ca;iper off and have a good look and clean it up.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

That bush (a Firstline brand one, BTW) is at the front end, inner edge of your arm.

My observation has been they last far better than the so-called "P" bushes.

In terms of removing the caliper etc, the first thing I like to do is clean the entire suspension, wheelarch and splash shield with warm water plus truck wash. Even up around the strut gaiter and so on. Once you've hosed it all off, the working environment is much nicer!
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

After having a root round on citroen service, I went and ordered both bushes, so I'll change both out.

The plan is to gradually replace all the bushes and such over time as money permits (drop links, rack rod ens etc), starting with the wishbone bush that it failed on.