Xantia 1999, jumping a lot in the road

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia99
My Cars:

Xantia 1999, jumping a lot in the road

Post by xantia99 »

:?: Hi everybory!!! I've had some leak in my xantia 99 suspension: one of the LHM line broken and I could not find the OEM replacement, so I my self repaired it using a cooper line a little bit small in inner diameter and it came back to run. But right now it is very unconfortable, when it pass through in a hole or some saliency in the road it jumps a lot like the cars that has bad spring on it, here in my country we do not have expert in this kind of suspension, the dealer do not have interest in old car models, so I my self have to try fix it. Would this problem be in electronic control? What could I check to try solve it? Whre could I buy the OEM LHM pipe?
Any comments will be appreciated.
Best regards,
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hello and welcome Xantia99 :D It is good to know there is a Xantia in Brazil!

Can you please tell us the exact model of Xantia and if you can, exactly which LHM line was broken and repaired.

This will hep us determine the cause of your problem.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Sounds like Air has got in, dont think a model specific would be needed but more a general diagnostic...

After repairing the broken line, did you LOWER the car to the ground with the engine runnining, and open the Pressure Regulator 12mm nut??? Its the item on the front of the gearbox facing the radiator, with a green Sphere - or ball attached to it..

On it theres a 12mm nut, you will need to slacken it by a turn DO NOT remove the bolt from the unit, give it ONE turn...

Then let the system self bleed..... for a while by simply letting the engine run... Take the filler cap off the LHM tank and see if theres any bubbles in there... after about 5 mins, screw the 12mm nut back in to let the system pressure back up... and see if that makes it better..

Press down on the front and back she should be SOFT... if she still hard, then you may need the suspension units changing.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

I suggest you start at the very beginning.

1. Check that the LHM in the hydraulic tank is at the correct level:- With engine running, move the Height Control Lever (beside hand/parking brake between the front seats) to rear-most position [Service HIGH]. Leave the engine running and wait at least 30 seconds for car to rise and settle. The orange disc in the level indicator on top of the tank should now be between the two orange lines. If low, add more LHM until the disc is between the lines.

2. Move the Height Control Lever to forward-most position [Service LOW] wait for car to lower itself right down

3. Follow CitroenXM's instructions. I repeat: undo the Pressure Relief Valve by ONE TURN ONLY. Do NOT over-tighten when you do it up later.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)