S2 Xantia Activa - immobiliser probs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

superloopy
My Cars:

S2 Xantia Activa - immobiliser probs

Post by superloopy »

Well now ... removed the battery for charge on my activa. Admittedly it was off the car a couple of days. Now it cranks really well but the car wont immobilise itself with the plip. New battery to plip, same result. The led on interior door mirror flashes continuously so guess I need to re-pair the key, somethings been lost. Any ideas guys? If I need to reprogram the key presumably the lexia can do it but wondering exactly how and whether there's any trick to try before I do this. Car started fine before battery removed and, yes, plenty fuel. I'm just not getting a nice reassuring unlock beeping noise when I unlock her on the plip. Spare plip tried with similar lack of result. Ta!.
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I've left the battery off my MK2 for months and it didn't have any such problems. Suspect there's another cause?

The car is self-immobilising on removing the key. The remote buttons operate the locks and alarm only.

Does the immobiliser light on the dash (key in square block) go out after a second or so of the ignition being switched on?
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

MikeT wrote:I've left the battery off my MK2 for months and it didn't have any such problems. Suspect there's another cause?

The car is self-immobilising on removing the key. The remote buttons operate the locks and
alarm only.

Does the immobiliser light on the dash (key in square block) go out after a second or so of the ignition being switched on?
Thanks Mike.
The plip is doing nothing whereas it used to, as you say,lock and unlock doors and disarm the car. I can lock and unlock via the locks only and the alarm led stays flashing. I can see no 'key' icon on the dash when the key is inserted presumably because the car is still alarmed?? The alarm doesn't sound though even when I'm in the car, the led is still flashing. Everything was aok before battery taken off. I used to get an audible lock unlock sound when using the plip, no longer there??? Maybe the alarm is suspect, any way to disable this side of things?
Mike

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The fact that you dont see the key light coming on the dash for a second sugests that the CPH (that controls the imobilisation of the car) or part of it, is not powering up. first likely cause would be a blown fuse, check all of the fuses on the car including the ones under bonnet.
If the key was not recognised you would have the key symbol light flashing rapidly on the dash.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Either you've got a different system to mine or yours has several faults.

With a properly registered key transponder and remote;

1.My car emits no beeps when locking/unlocking but will both beep and unlock the locks when locking to alert me to the fact a door/bonnet/boot is not properly closed.

2.The immobiliser light (inside the rev counter dial) should come on briefly with the ignition and go off as soon as the key transponder is recognised and accepted (less than a second on mine). If the light stays on, the transponder is not registering or is rejected and the car will crank but not start.

3.When the alarm is triggered (opening with the key), there should be both a loud audible siren pulsing with the headlights. indicators and repeaters for 30 seconds.

4.The alarm can be cancelled without the remote by turning on the ignition with the key.

No1, are you sure you memory's not playing tricks on you?
No2, perhaps the bulb has blown?
No3, that's got me baffled the most.
No4, a failed transponder might not allow the alarm defeat, I don't know.

Perhaps someone else can offer assistance. I can only think to get a Lexia on it.

EDIT: Thanks wheeler. I guess a blown fuse could cause several faults but had a doubt due to the LED flashing.
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Mike, just thought my lock/unlock was normal.

I'm definitely not seeing any key flashing on dash, where exactly would that be, alongside ? <edit : you said on rev counter dial, i've checked and it DOESN'T light up >

Think its more likely to be scenario 2 but fuses could also be a problem. Any specific fuse I need to check out?

Thanks for the help so far ... any lexia experts (i've got one but its not been used in anger cos it tends not to hold a charge) out there who would know which fuses i need to check and if they check out then how to go about re-learning my key?
Last edited by superloopy on 24 Jun 2011, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

MikeT

Post by MikeT »

According to my handbook, check
F2 (10A) CPH, Speed Sensor, Overspeed Audible Warning, Coolant Temp Warning, Diagnostic Socket
F15 (30A) CPH, Diagnostic Socket, Instrument Cluster
F25 (10A) CPH, Instrument Cluster, Radio, Clock, Ext Temp Display

Even if they're good, it's still wise to follow wheeler's advice and check them all.

The immobiliser light is a big orange square block in the middle of the rpm dial, you can't miss it when illuminated. It shows a key symbol partly inserted in a square outline.

EDIT: The Lexia is powered off the Diagnostic port, mine doesn't even have a battery! If yours won't work without battery power, I'd definitely check the above fuses, especially F2 and F15. :idea:
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Mike, will do., these are fuses under the dash not bonnet, yes?

I've checked rev counter and there's NO sign of a key icon so maybe fuses are shot, what with someone saying that if key pairing was an issue the light would be there flashing.

ta!
Mike

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I can agree with Mike here Mike. I've been working on Xac's Juliet and she had a flat battery for months before we started and and problems whatsoever...

The orange immobiliser light should briefly flash and go out. If the CPH leaves the car immobilised during a start attempt you'll hear bleeping and the light will stay on.

Do you hear any bleeping when the door is open and the key is left in the ignition. Do you hear any bleeping at all?

The usual problem is a break in the loom under the rad leading to critical power loss. The fact you see no light confirms this somewhat.

The plip not working is a red herring as the immobiliser works on the RFID chip in the key itself and is not connected with the plip at all.

If you need any circuits, get in touch...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

Have you a spare key ? if so try that sometimes the chip in the key can paly up.
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Thanks everyone, ill need to put her on.hold cos I'm offski to Dublin tomorrow to see an aging rocker at the aviva stadium (Neil Diamond)
Jim, no beeping whatsoever, cars not moved for months. Key insertion does extinguish door led when ignition switched on, dash lights all normal other than no immobiliser activity at all. I'll check fuses on my return, do you concur with mike on the three he's mentioned?
Mike

The Birdman
My Cars:

Post by The Birdman »

Just try and recode key with Lexia it`ll not have any ill effects and will rule that out.
For what we are about to receive may we be truly thank full.

http://www.citroencodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.peugeotcodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The Birdman wrote:Just try and recode key with Lexia it`ll not have any ill effects and will rule that out.
As there's no bleeping and no immobiliser light shining then recoding keys is unlikely to help.

Uncoded keys are always accompanied by lots of bleeping and a glowing immobiliser light in my experience...

Also, if the CPH is not properly powered, trying to code keys may be a dangerous thing to try...

Mike, if you can, see in the Lexia will talk to the CPH at all...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

The lexia does talk to CPH but comes up with an initial error saying that 'ECU not recognised, results cannot be guaranteed if you choose to continue'

I chose to continue and was able to read a number of faults mainly to do with key identity so am going to give re-pairing the key a try if i can confirm the keycode (obviously no-one has their code to hand these days, do they?)

VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff], is anyone able to tell me what the hashed keycode would be for the car?

Jim,

Aerial checked and looks ok, recorded faults (above) all cleared and a couple of permanents keep returning alongwith 'unable to communicate with siren' as an intermittent.

Worth a go trying to 'relearn' the key?
Mike

superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

superloopy1 wrote: VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff], is anyone able to tell me what the hashed keycode would be for the car?
Anyone?
Mike