Xantia 1.9TD (XUD) Turbo pipe removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Xantia 1.9TD (XUD) Turbo pipe removal

Post by Old-Guy »

Having at last discovered how to get the turbo outlet pipe off, I though I'd share the information while it's still fresh in my mind.

I'm talking about the pipe that feeds high pressure from the turbocharger to the intercooler. It's the underneath one of the two big plastic pipes that cross over the top of the engine. This one needs to be removed to get the cam-belt cover off, or to get at the brake doseur valve (equivalent to a conventional brake master cylinder).

The following applies to XUDT engines from about the beginning of 1996 (later N reg). Earlier engine used a different arrangement.

Behind the engine, this pipe runs horizontally before turning a sharp 90º bend downwards to end in a flange that bolts (X 2) onto the top of the compressor. It's almost impossible to see any of this from on top, from underneath its possible to see the compressor flange and the end of the rearward bolt. If you shine a torch through the gap between the inlet manifold and the cam case (roughly in line with no. 2 cylinder, you'll see there's a curved cut-out in the cam case. Looking back and down, you can see the front part of the pipe flange and the (10mm) head of the front securing bolt; there's no way to see its partner at the back.

To remove them you need (¼" drive) 10mm socket, fine tooth rachet driver, 6" wobble extension and a magnetic picker-up-er. You can see what you're doing to remove the front bolt (it shouldn't be very tight). Although you have to do it entirely by feel, the rear one is easier because you can get at it straight down (no need for wobble). When the bolts are loose, use the magnetic pick-up to remove them - if you try using your fingers, you're bound to lose one trapped somewhere down the back of the engine (I speak from experience!).

The pipe has stub below the flange that goes into the compressor casing. This stub has a rubber seal on it that will stick. Once all the fasteners that hold the pipe in place have been removed, a certain amount of gentle wiggling is needed to pull it upwards from the compressor casing. As it's a real struggle to completely remove the pipe, just 'park' it out of the way with the horizontal section and the flange still trapped behind the engine. STUFF A LARGE CLEAN PIECE OF CLEAN WHITE(ish) RAG IN THE COMPRESSOR OUTLET PORT to stop anything falling into the compressor and being force-fed into the engine!
Last edited by Old-Guy on 18 Jun 2011, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

good stuff old guy.. I have had the other pipe off many times recently..

a mirror on a stick really helps..

I am definitely going to add a joining piece in both pipes to allow quick removal as they annoy me often :D

john
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Tip to the wordly wise...if you put anyhing in the intake manifold whilst working on the engine, stick a reminder on the dash!! I did the same (kitchen paper) in the inlet manifold on a BX TD...then cranked it :oops: When I finally got it started it deposited a huge cloud of grey diesel smoke across the street, interspersed with litle pieces of fluttering burnt kitchen roll :lol:
Richard W
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Just wanted to point out, this is ONLY Valid for TD Engines from around mid 1996, or P reg onwards!!!

Earlyer tubo pipes feed and pressure outlets are secured by Circlips with intersection rubber joining pipies...there was nothing wrong with this earlyer setup..!

Not sure why they changed it to a single complete pipe with two 10mm bolts holding it on!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

citroenxm wrote:Just wanted to point out, this is ONLY Valid for TD Engines from around mid 1996, or P reg onwards!!!

Earlyer tubo pipes feed and pressure outlets are secured by Circlips with intersection rubber joining pipies...there was nothing wrong with this earlyer setup..!

Not sure why they changed it to a single complete pipe with two 10mm bolts holding it on!

Paul
Thanks for the correction, BUT mine was built mid Jan 1996, (N Reg, Feb 96) so the change must have been before then. Original post amended.

Perhaps the change was prompted by a change in turbo's compressor casing (to suit other models) and it was cheaper for Citroen to change the design of this pipe than to buy and stock two different designs of what was essentially the same turbocharger?
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom