Diesel engine over reving on tickover, MAF problem? SOLVED?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

First, apologies for the long post

I have a 2000 Xantia Hdi (110), about 2 years ago it started “driving itself” in that for no reason (every 10 mins or so but apparently quite randomly) the revs would increase, sometime to as much as 2000rpm, usually somewhere between 1100 and 1500rpm, quite disconcerting if you were on the overrun or driving slowly.

It would rev up for 10 or 15 secs and then drop back but to a fast idle between 1000 and 1100prm. At the time I concluded that it might be something to do with the MAF sensor as the plug was a bit broken and fiddling with it seem to get the revs back down.

I got a replacement plug from a scrap yard that came with the MAF attached so I just fitted the lot, problem solved – for about 12 months when it started again although it never reved to more than 1300/1500rpm. This time I just cleaned the sensors with brake cleaner and again the problem disappeared.

Now its back again, cleaning the MAF does not appear to have worked this time. Each time I take it out and put it back the problem seems to disappear for 2 or 3 days and then it returns. Reading other posts, MAF problems seem to be associated with reduced performance, presumably the MAF is under reading flow and under fuelling. My symptoms suggest over fuelling on tickover, as there is no problems with the way the car runs and drives otherwise. It seems strange to have two MAFs fail in this way so I’m a bit concerned the MAF is a red herring and it is due to something else. Ok a new MAF is not too bad at £35 off e-bay but I don’t like throwing money away. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Last edited by rory_perrett on 01 Oct 2011, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

Throttle cable/potentiometer thingee sticking maybe?

Or, are these 'fly by wire'?
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
1994 Citroën Xantia 1.9TD
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Check the breathers are clear too and not full of oil, some residual 'mist' traces are to be expected. Look at condition of air filter / air box as well.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Having lived with the revving problem for a while it suddenly got worse about a month ago. While messing with the MAF sensor and air box would stop it for a while it only lasted a few minutes rather than the previous days and it was making the car very unpleasant to drive.

I found a split in the small rubber vacuum pipe to the EGR valve at the back of the engine and a small hole in the pipe from the vacuum pump to the Recycling regulation electrovalve (EGR) and Boost pressure regulation electrovalve.

In the 4 weeks since fixing these pipes the problem has gone away. Is this just coincidence (like changing the MAF sensor earlier) or is there a logical reason why these air leaks may have caused the over revving?
torq
My Cars:

Post by torq »

Air leaks usually cause uneven idling.

Once bought a bmw e30 318i which was hunting on the idle and wouldn't run properly. While looking at i guessed it was a split vacuum hose. Sucked air between my teeth, made all sorts of this could be dodgy comments and offered the owner €450 instead of the €950 he was looking for. He reluctantly accepted, I spent €30 on a new vacuum hose and the car was perfect.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Absolutely! leaking vacuum pipes cause all kinds of problems depending on where they leak. In your case the EGR valve was effectively out of control probably intermittently, but would have affected the rpm at low to mid revs.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC