hdi in limp mode after dodgy diesel

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wiggie_me

hdi in limp mode after dodgy diesel

Post by wiggie_me »

havnt owned the car long but was running fine untill i put red diesel in it (was goin to use it for track) . its a peugeot 306 hdi 2.0

anyway at first it cut out and engine management light came on, it drove fine after that for a while then it would cut out again and now its in limp mode.

iv drained the fuel out of the tank and flushed it twice with white diesel. but the problem persists. the light did however go out for a while after i drained it but came back on again when i put abit of the drained diesel back in just to make shour i had eneugh to get the the garage.

does any1 think this diesel has blocked the filter and so giving a low presure reading to the ecu?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I'm not sure how true this is, but someone once said that red would cause permanent damage if used on a high* pressure engine (HDi) although never explained why. Sorry that's probably no help.

*High for a diesel that is compared to a IDI unit anyway.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I'd imagine it can't handle the dye, which even after flushing through several times should still be seeping into the diesel.
Once red has been used you can have serious problems using the car on the road even if you are using white diesel (assuming we can work out what's wrong and get it fixed!) as if they find red in it I believe they can presume you've been using red ever since you took ownership and slap you with a hefty fuel duty bill.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Might be worth running a diesel system cleaner through it, Forte seems to be the best but there are some very satisfied customers using Redex and Wynn's.
wiggie_me

Post by wiggie_me »

im aware of the legalities but this was going to be an off road car. knew i should have stuck to the older engine much better in my opinion. could it be an emissions thing?
wiggie_me

Post by wiggie_me »

also the engine runs on for a few secons after turning off
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

wiggie_me wrote:im aware of the legalities but this was going to be an off road car. knew i should have stuck to the older engine much better in my opinion. could it be an emissions thing?
No problem with it being done for off road use, definitely makes more sense using cheaper diesel :)

Potentially could be emissions caused by the dye.
I take it you got the red from a reputable source?
I'd see if you can get someone to hook up their peugeot version of the lexia to it and see if there is anything untoward recorded.

DIY sphere tool
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Modern tractors have common rail engines so I can't see that red diesel in itself should be a problem, was it clean? Is it just a coincidence?

Peter
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

The dye wont have any affect, there is no difference between white or red.
It will be some other problem for sure, its just a coincidence thats all, is the water trap empty and the filter clean?
It has to be hooked up to a lexia really, your just pissin in the wind otherwise.

Mind you if its an off road car and runs fine i wouldnt worry about it its not doing any mileage? it could go on forever like it.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
wiggie_me

Post by wiggie_me »

ill get its codes read, hopfully that will show somthing. quite a coincidence though it brought up ecu light 2 miles after puttin it in. its the stuff i normaly run site plant on should be ok, i ran it through a sieve before putting it in.
wiggie_me

Post by wiggie_me »

Deanxm wrote:The dye wont have any affect, there is no difference between white or red.
It will be some other problem for sure, its just a coincidence thats all, is the water trap empty and the filter clean?
It has to be hooked up to a lexia really, your just pissin in the wind otherwise.

D
red does have a higher sulpher level and there are some other diferences, i havnt removed the filter yet, im abit nervous to disturbe it unless totaly nessary / got a new one to replace. iv heard horrible storys with dirt ect.

i take it the the water trap is the srew in piece at the bottom of the filter housing? im new to the hdi engine
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Is the lift pump in the tank still working?

DIY sphere tool
wiggie_me

Post by wiggie_me »

yes i used it to drain the tank, and it had recently been replaced
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

wiggie_me wrote:also the engine runs on for a few secons after turning off
I think that this is significant.

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think when you turn off the HDI it opens up the fuel pressure regulator in the HP pump and lets the engine run until pressure in the rail has gone down a bit.

It's a long shot but it sounds as though the pressure regulator in the HP pump might be sticking.

You can view rail pressure expected and rail pressure actual in live data. The two numbers should not be too much different. If there is a big difference then it means that there is a problem.

If actual pressure is lower than expected then it means that the pump is not producing the pressure that the ECU wants which indicates a high or low pump problem.

If actual pressure is higher than expected then it means that the ECU is not regulating the pump properly which could be a clagged up regulator.

I know someone that ran his HDI on bio diesel that had the same problem.
wiggie_me

Post by wiggie_me »

would i need to check this using diagnostic equipment? Iv jus got a new filter element, worth changing it?