Xantia Sunroof

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mongoose100
My Cars:

Xantia Sunroof

Post by mongoose100 »

I'm guessing (well, HOPING) that my rear drain tubes are blocked, however, I have no idea of where to find them.

Anyone able to offer some words/pictures of wisdom here please? Everytime it rains, I have water coming down and out where the rear seatbelt comes out of the C pillar :shock: :evil:
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
1994 Citroën Xantia 1.9TD
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The drain pipe's are attached at the far corners of the roof runners which will put them roughly where you describe, however take a look back through Jim's blog of a couple of months ago as he discovered a leak there due to the roof bar mounting holes (behind the door rubber at the top) not being taped up, worth checking that first before you start pulling things apart.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

99% sure its from the sunroof, was washing car, directed some water towards the tilted roof in the hope of flushing clean water down drains and was greated with the waterfall.

I'm just hoping they're blocked and not fallen off or similar.

Where do they exit? I know with BX's, you have to remove tail lights to find them. Same with Xantia?
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

No the pipes exit in the wheel arch's...

Petrol cap side tricky, but the passenger side is easy, it comes out right up in the top corner... useualy the exit ets blocked from crap off the wheel...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

Found the problem :evil: , the plastic piece that the pipe clips to at rear of sunroof has snapped!

Will attempt to Silicon it up and see how I go
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Regan,

I did a repair exactly like this by using bedding mastic at the end of the sunroof gutter, pressing the gutter spout (the clear bit the drain pipe attaches to) into it and securing the spout to the gutter via a cable tie as shown in the picture below:

The layer of mastic must be thin else water will collect in the gutter.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

Jim, you're a life saver!!! I've done similar with clear RTV, will tie it up when I find a spare lying about. Any idea what would cause this issue? Pain in the a@$e, really.

I noticed 2 plastic lugs that had appeared to have snapped off, could be my imagination tho
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

As far as I can see, those two little plastic lugs 'rivet' the spout to the gutter by means of melting them.

Heat and a bit of flexing over the years seems to do for them :evil: It's not really a very workmanlike job really...

before you finish, give it a stern test by pouring lots of water into the gutter with the sunroof open and checking it's fully watertight.

The insidious thing is that the headlining is impermeable and water thus flows across it and finds an exit down the C pillar and straight into the back seat wells :twisted:

As much as I love my sunroofs, I find this aspect a bit of a pain and regularly check for any leaks.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I like pictures,

I have a soggy rear footwell problem which I have ignored with the Northumberland summer in full force now.

I have read threads before about the sunroof drain problem and soggy carpets but the picture has inspired me to get round to peeling back the headlining and having a good look to sort the problem out.

What needs to come off, or prized apart to get the headlining peeled back without damaging it?

Thanks Neil
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Neil, to get the headlining down for access you need to prise off the trim around the sunroof aperture, It's a 'U' section and start by gently pulling it away from the edge but go careful as it can crack.

Then remove the two rear passengers grab handles and courtesy lights if fitted and then carefully release the headlining edge from the rubber tailgate seal and gently tug down. The headlining is glued to the roof at the tailgate aperture with two or three big lumps of hard black goo. be careful not to damage the headlining.

All will then be nicely exposed!

Use some industrial grade Velcro to reaffix the headlining at the rear when you reassemble.

If the rear carpets are really soggy, I recommend you have them out to dry. To do this, remove the back seats completely and then you can also lift out the boot carpet. I expect you'll find the felt under the boot carpet to be damp too...
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

dont go pulling the head linning down till you have firstly tried to blast them out upwards from the bottom/tail end with compresed air,

then test with sunroof open and pour water into the gullyin the roof openning wqith a watering can, and check all four corners to see what comes out,

regards malcolm
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Thanks for the replies

Is it right that there are 4 drainage tubes one from each corner of the sunroof opening which exit at each wheel arch somewhere?

I will have a prod around, to see where they are and try the watering can approach first before dismantling things. If I manage to find them I will get the camera out :)

regards

Neil
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Yup... Rears exit at the TOP of the rear arches behind all the MUD and crap off the roads...

The fronts exit behind the front wheel arch liner behind the wing.. Take off the liner and facing the DRIVERS wheel its on the left, passenger the right..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

before shuving an air gun upm knock the dirt/mud out as much as possible, so you dont blow it all up further, as it aint just the mud that blocks them, they usualy have leaves and dirt gathering at the top in each corner too,

also place a dust sheet over the seats,

regards malcolm
mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

citronut wrote:dont go pulling the head linning down till you have firstly tried to blast them out upwards from the bottom/tail end with compresed air,

then test with sunroof open and pour water into the gullyin the roof openning wqith a watering can, and check all four corners to see what comes out,

regards malcolm
Worth noting here, not to fully blast the hell out of it straight away... I did this on an old Honda (Swearword, I know) that I used to have and promptly proceeded to blow the pipes off the plugs :shock: The ensuing frustration of removing headlining was a PITA.

I've found that some light strength degreaser (plastic safe etc) left to soak for a few mins followed by a flush with boiling water normally does absolute wonders
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6