Are petrol and diesel zorst back boxes different?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

Hi all,

Bought one off ebay ages ago for £7 all in,as no one else bid.
Upon receiving it the box is 4" shorter and a lot thinner than my humongous hdi jobby..(couldn't tell in the ebay pic). Oh well, not fussed as it was for nowt really!
The brackets are different also,so I'm thinking of just moving them,re weld em, as I've nowt to lose anyway,apart from buying a proper 'box, (how much is one?)

I'm sure it was for a diesel but can't remember. Surely they can't be too different,(but then why does the hdi have such a huge back box..)

Dave.
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Is your car saloon or estate? The estate rear boxes are longer. In addition, the earlier boxes were smaller as the sytems have small intermediate boxes and as emissions have got stricter, the rear boxes have grown and the intermediate boxes have disappeared.

As a possible supplier, goggle Bosal, as they do a reasonable quality part and have a good sales network to get the spares to you. I only use them now, if I do not have an OE part off the shelf.

H
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

They are different as pointed out :)

Also you'll find in most cases the diesel tailpipe is actually down not straight out, compared to a petrol.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

Ah right,
Cheers chaps 8-)

Looks like it is a diesel back box then, the tailpipe slopes down,cheers spider.

H,
Mine's a hatchback s2 110 hdi.

I've used Bosal a few times,might be the way to go.

I gave up in the end as the 'spurious' back box was both shorter,thinner and trying to sort/bend/change the bracket design left me putting the original 'box on..which has some life left in it, as the mot's due this week and I cba faffing around with it any longer..

Turns out the middle pipe's a bit damaged also..there's my problem..last owner tried to arc weld it at the join and blew half the flange off both mid section pipe and back box..oh well!

My main concern is will this new, smaller frankinbox affect performance or get super hot etc!

Cheers, Dave.
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...