Drivers window dropped !!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI
My Cars:

Drivers window dropped !!

Post by HDI »

My Xantia greeted me this morning with the drivers window dropping when I shut the door !! Operating the window switch does nothing and the window feels like it's not connected to the mechanism. I've had to jam it closed with some cardboard to prevent it dropping down when driving.

I can't look at it until later as I'm busy on a job but could anyone say if this is a known issue and what the problem may be, or what I'm likely to find when I remove the door card ?
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Series 2?? Then the cables are much thinner then S1 and most likely rotted through.. OR the plastic clip has popped off the end of the wire...

Those are the two only likely things..

And as shes an Exclusive, they are unique winders to S2 cars becuase they have One touch WITH anti sink which is built into the motor... and features a different plug.. so only an S2 winder will do... Luckily being drivers door, ALL S2 cars had anti pinch fitted on the drivers ONLY, exclusive being the only one to have it on all four doors, meaning the other three are harder to find.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Cheers for that Paul. If the cable has gone does that mean a new mech assembly is the easiest fix ?
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
electronmirror
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.0 (163) diesel Exclusive Tourer 2010
Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate

Post by electronmirror »

There is another way to fix this problem

I also have a S2 Xantia estate exclusive where the same thing happened to the driver's window. It turned out to be a disintegrating plastic clip, due to age hardening by the look of the plastic.

You might find that the cables are fine, I did.

If you do a search on eBay for window regulators you'll find several companies selling that plastic clip for around £7 to £10. It is not available separately from the stealer, they'd rather charge you £200 plus for the complete regulator. :(

I actually bought my clips from an eBay supplier in Turkey called Sesuya. Prompt service and cost about £7 per clip including postage late last year.

Happy spannering,

Ted
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (119,290miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

my R reg 1.9TD did this on saterday morning when her in doors was cleaning the windows, so mine is now with a lump of timber inside the door under the glass,

with the trim off i could see a length of cable dangling around in the bottom of the door,

it is a late MK1 and has the one touch option,

regards malcolm
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

If you need a new window regulator mechanism and you're popping up to the GS rally at the weekend Malcolm maybe we could meet up as I have a few spare ones and could do with having a clear out :roll:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

they are unique winders to S2 cars becuase they have One touch WITH anti sink which is built into the motor
Seems the anti sink valve in the motor is knackered if your glass drops overnight :wink:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thanks Richard that sounds good to me,
i will be going to the G ralley if we can raise enough fuel tokens :roll:

kind regards
malcolm
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Deanxm wrote:
they are unique winders to S2 cars becuase they have One touch WITH anti sink which is built into the motor
Seems the anti sink valve in the motor is knackered if your glass drops overnight :wink:

D
:wink: :lol: :wink:
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

citronut wrote:thanks Richard that sounds good to me,
i will be going to the G ralley if we can raise enough fuel tokens :roll:

kind regards
malcolm
OK Malcolm, lets exchange pm's later in the week.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

OK, the problem has been located. After removing the door card and moisture membrane 2 cable ends were discovered loose in the bottom of the door, nice !

Subsequent to disconnecting the the window from the lifter mechanism and then removing the mechanism from the door I found the cables had jumped of the slider block that raises and lowers the window.

After spending an hour or so working out how to rewind the cables onto the motor drum and thread them around the pulleys etc, I then did a dummy test with the mech out of the door. It worked fine a few times and just as I was about to pat myself on the back the cable jumped out of the slider block again as it stopped at the bottom end !

Close examination of the slider block revealed the cable retaining slot was cracked and was allowing the cable to jump out when force was exerted.

So, can these slider blocks be obtained separately without having to buy a whole new lifter mech ?
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Procured a new window slider block, or clip as they seem to be known as, from an ebay seller, £10 but still cheaper than a whole new mech.
It is pretty much identical to the original but comes supplied with a plastic, instead of the original wire, window retaining clip. This cannot be used with the original rubber window bush so I re-used the original clip. So far it works ok.
The slider block installs into the to window lifter mech with no problem and works fine.
One little tip, when re-installing the slider block through the rubber window bush, install the wire retaining clip first, then the locating peg on the slider block can be just pushed back into the clip without any fiddling !
So far it's just over a week since I made the repair and all seems fine.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !