C5, what to look/check for

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cjuk81
My Cars:

C5, what to look/check for

Post by cjuk81 »

Hi there, this is my first so hello everyone

Im looking to replace my little ford fiesta for something a bit bigger, but relativly cheap, Ive seen a few C5's around for sale,most around 8-9 years old at the sort of price ive been looking at, around the £1000 mark.

Whilst I have a basic understanding of the suspension, what things should I look for, check when looking at the cars, obviuosly that the suspension goes up and down ok is a given :)

Ive seen some for sale, including some that seem too good to be true in terms of low mileage/price ratio

Any advice,info would be very welcomed :)

btw i was probably llooking for a petrol I guess at that price

Chris
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Hi, Welcome to the FCF :)

Your £1000 will get you into a very nice C5, if you look hard enough.

As always diesels are more expensive than the petrols so if your mileage isn't huge then I would go for a petrol, as this will get you a bit later, lower mileage and hopefully tidier car. However the diesels do the miles very well and the interiors hold up nicely to wear too.

I have just spotted this Exclusive on autotrader. Its an auto 2.0 16v (I actually thin a C5 would suit an auto box well) and it looks superb, almost immaculate and its low mileage plus it has the optional leather and satnav - looks like your looking for a high spec going by your other posts.

Try and avoid the earlier ones if you can, Y and 51. The earlier cars are always the ones with the most problems, hopefully these will have been ironed by now but there were revisions during 2002 which make those the better ones to go for.

By this time their suspension spheres will be getting tired and giving a bouncy ride, so bounce the front and rear of the car and see if you think its soft or bouncy. Yes the suspension should go up and down though this is the least of the checks, its suppleness is what to check, along with trying to spot any obvious leaks. Check in the LDS tank to see if its fluid level is where it should be. Generally the C5s suspension system is very reliable and the spheres last a good long time.

I guess you have done a bit of reading up on them now, there is a very good source of info on here if you search or C5 buying advice.

I find C5s very reliable and I really like them, I wouldn't swap mine for anything else.

Good luck with your search for a C5, they are about in big numbers so finding a good one should not be too hard.

Some others I came across which look nice:

2002 CITROEN C5 2.0 HDi 110 LX

2001 CITROEN C5 2.2 HDi SX

2001 CITROEN C5 2.0i 16V Exclusive 5dr Auto Hatchback

2001 CITROEN C5 1.8i 16V SX 5dr Hatchback

Of course if your mileage is very low, there are plenty of V6s within your budget ...
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
cjuk81
My Cars:

Post by cjuk81 »

Thanks again Chris, given me some things of what to watch out for. ill have a look at some of the examples that youve kindly found for me, esp now that i know i need to avoid the HPI :lol:
cjuk81
My Cars:

Post by cjuk81 »

one other thing Chris to note, there are only 5 petrol c5 with a manual box on auto trader and all of them are HPI ones, seems fishy lol
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

There are a lot of petrol manuals when I look, you might have too closely defined search options.

2.0 16V SX Manual

Again

Unless your only considering Exclusives, which will really narrow your search and I believe most will be the HPI petrols. I wouldn't concentrate too much on spec, it often sends you on wild goose chases looking at cars scattered around the country which are not the best example - not always but fairly often. Also I think you will be hard pressed to find a 2.0 16v in an Exclusive. Buy on condition and less about spec. The SX and later VTR have all the spec really needed, and more.

I would consider this over the others, a 1.8 16v VTR Hatch on an 03 plate. The newest I have seen for similar money and low mileage too, Im sure you could haggle to within your budget. I had a VTR HDi on an 04 plate and really liked the spec, interior etc. They have rear wipers (no other S1 spec hatch does), Alarm, 16" wheels over the 15" of the earlier SX and Exclusives etc. That one does have AC but no climate, my slightly later S1 VTR did have climate, though the manual AC is enough. Nice trim level the VTR. That one also has the optional 'Sports pack' with the rear spoiler and chrome front lower grills.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
cjuk81
My Cars:

Post by cjuk81 »

doh, my bad, i left the 'exclusive' filter on, having a 7 week old baby in the house isnt good for my head lol
cjuk81
My Cars:

Post by cjuk81 »

Also, what are the clutches like for life span, will most of the cars of around 80-90K need a clutch change, i know theres no exact answer to that and you just have to see how it feels i guess when you go and have a look at the indivudual car.

do C5's have laminated side windows, think id read that somewhere
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

cjuk81 wrote:Also, what are the clutches like for life span, will most of the cars of around 80-90K need a clutch change, i know theres no exact answer to that and you just have to see how it feels i guess when you go and have a look at the indivudual car.
My C5 is at about 160,000 now and I've had it since about 79,000 miles without having to change the clutch. I changed the clutch in my Xsara at the 150,000 mark so I'm sort of expecting the symptoms soon...
cjuk81 wrote:do C5's have laminated side windows, think id read that somewhere
No, they're toughened, certainly on mine.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

cjuk81 wrote:Also, what are the clutches like for life span, will most of the cars of around 80-90K need a clutch change, i know theres no exact answer to that and you just have to see how it feels i guess when you go and have a look at the indivudual car.

do C5's have laminated side windows, think id read that somewhere
CLutches, well its a general question. If its been owned by (what seems like) 80% of the drivers on the road who hold the bite of the clutch at every opportunity then probably a very short time indeed. If its been treated with respect and not abused in the above way then it could well last around 150K.

Many of the cars with 80-90K miles will have had a clutch now, many will still be on their original and will go on for a lot longer. If the clutch feels right and it has a good bite, then treat it well and don't worry about it.

The HDis have a dual mass flywheel, this can fail but it is linked to the above. Most owners who don't ride the clutch get good mileages out of them, people who do can wear them out in low mileages. Though some have reported DMF failure with limited clutch use.

C5 Exclusives do have laminated side windows, not the other models though. However I can't see it making any difference to the sound of the car, certainly not so you would notice.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
cjuk81
My Cars:

Post by cjuk81 »

cheers, My Mondeo has a DMF wheel anyway so im well aware that they can and do fail from time to time, but the mondeo only had 44K on it so im hoping I won thave to worry about that for a while yet :)
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes, that is my thinking with my 18K mile C5 :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

Nice spec the Vtr C5 had two myself an 2003 2.0 Hdi required a clutch/flywheel at 128k and a 2.2 Hdi vtr (136) 130k no clutch problems at all

Mark
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

I'm gonna be sarky. What to check for? Try everything
C'est pas possible!
amjake

Post by amjake »

Hi Chris,

In 18 months of C5 02 2.0 110 Hdi auto ownership....

Rear calipers replaced as pads worn at angle and rubbing inside of rear wheels (identified by scraping noise around corners)

New Discs all round and pads (identified by mechanic mate)

Radio replaced - kept fading out after 45 -60 mins use

Aircon compressor and wiring replaced (aircon not cold!)

alternator clutch/freewheel replaced incessant squeaking as were belt idler pulleys (squeaking )

injectors reconditioned as two went u/s and other 2 ok but price justified doing (engine cut out on outside lane of dual carriageway - no power including loss of power steering)

Tyre wear pretty heavy, rear tyres 1/4 worn away 3/4 although good for 5k + but erred on side of caution and replaced all round (car checked, suspension, bearings tracking alignment all OK but internet searching suggested rear alloy axle prone to distortion!)

Other than that I got car as freebie, pay for parts and mech friend does very cheap work for me. Car goes well with a Synergy tuning box fitted and returns a regular 44-45mpg on 5-600 miles weekly.

So when I find my replacement the wifey gets a very good shopping trolley!

Honesty the best policy and had I had to pay full wack for labour etc I'd have probably ditched the girl. However, now all is running well we shall keep for a little longer.

ATB

Kev
Last edited by amjake on 17 Jun 2011, 08:13, edited 2 times in total.
cjuk81
My Cars:

Post by cjuk81 »

boristhespie wrote:I'm gonna be sarky. What to check for? Try everything
:lol: