C5 ALLOY WHEELS AND DASH DISPLAY

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

StevieOMG
My Cars:

C5 ALLOY WHEELS AND DASH DISPLAY

Post by StevieOMG »

I have recently obtained a set of C5 OEM alloy wheels for my C5 estate. Tyres are same size as my steel wheels. Question is, do I need a new set of wheel bolts or will those currently on the vehicle suffice.

Second question surrounds the dash display. Mine is the two line type A and want to upgrade to the three line type B. I have searched and there does not appear to be any reference to part number. There are lots of displays on the bay, but i am reluctant to purchase without checking that I have the right part as, knowing me, I will end up with another version of the one I already have.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

StevieOMG
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C5 ALLOY WHEELS AND DASH DISPLAY

Post by myglaren »

StevieOMG wrote:I have recently obtained a set of C5 OEM alloy wheels for my C5 estate. Tyres are same size as my steel wheels. Question is, do I need a new set of wheel bolts or will those currently on the vehicle suffice.
I am prepared to be corrected on this but I think that you can use the same ones as your 'steel' wheels are actually alloy (check with a magnet)

Second question surrounds the dash display. Mine is the two line type A and want to upgrade to the three line type B. I have searched and there does not appear to be any reference to part number. There are lots of displays on the bay, but i am reluctant to purchase without checking that I have the right part as, knowing me, I will end up with another version of the one I already have.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

StevieOMG
Several C5 owners have just swapped displays and found that they just work. Not certain but you may need a Lexia to have the new display recognised, don't think so though.
StevieOMG
My Cars:

Post by StevieOMG »

Myglaren.

Many thanks for the quick response. Will try the magnet on the bolts. On the display, previous threads have indicated that it is a straight swop. Ideally, I need the part number for the three line display to ensure that I do not buy another two line display.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

StevieOMG wrote:Myglaren.

Many thanks for the quick response. Will try the magnet on the bolts. On the display, previous threads have indicated that it is a straight swop. Ideally, I need the part number for the three line display to ensure that I do not buy another two line display.
Test the wheels with the magnets, not the bolts.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I don't know what bolts the steel wheels have but all the alloy wheels I've seen for PhI C5s have special bolts.

They have a flat face underneath the head and a captive flat washer. The shank is parallel for about an inch and then has a taper and then the threaded bit. The taper is for when the steel spare wheel is fitted - it needs conventional style bolts. Possibly the steel spare wheel is the same as an all steel wheel car but I don't know for sure.

Incidentally these special bolts used to be fitted with two head sizes. 17mm for cars like the Exclusive which then had little chrome caps and 19mm for lesser cars without the bling covers.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I think that you will find that there are no steel wheels, they are all alloy but some are made to look like steel - as is my spare.

I have some of those chrome caps, with a few missing. Improves the look of the wheels enormously - NOT! :(
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Any idea why the spare isn't a 'proper' alloy?
I appreciate that the steel-style one is probably slightly lighter, and possibly costs a bit less to produce (but not much, given economies of scale) but I'm sure most people would prefer a spare which matched the rest.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

dnsey wrote:Any idea why the spare isn't a 'proper' alloy?
I appreciate that the steel-style one is probably slightly lighter, and possibly costs a bit less to produce (but not much, given economies of scale) but I'm sure most people would prefer a spare which matched the rest.
It would certainly make a lot more sense to have all five wheels the same.
It must be due to manufacturing costs but beyond that I have no idea whatsoever.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

The steel wheels might well be alloy wheels, however it is to do with the seating of the bolt and the thickness of the wheel which requires different wheel bolts.

To my knowledge the steel wheel bolts are not a suitable bolt for the alloy wheels. Though it does depend what bolts you have. C5 alloy wheel bolts are like most other Citroen bolts designed for alloy wheels. They have a washer on the bolt which seats onto the wheel, do yours have this?

I have had the spare steel wheel (ok so actually alloy) spare wheel on the 52 plate C5 and its standard alloy wheel bolts didnt seat too well, as they should sit in the indent in the hole but the alloy ones have a flat washer so they simple press up against it. They did the job but for long term I would get the appropriate bolts.

I do have a set of spare C5 steel wheels, they are steel wheels and not alloys as they are 16" versions and so I got a set of steel wheel bolts just in case I ever fit the steels - might put winter tyres on them.

You could post a picture of one of your wheel bolts and we could see if they are the correct ones?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
StevieOMG
My Cars:

Post by StevieOMG »

Citroenmad

Many thanks. Yes mine do have the washer included as part of the nut. Will be the weekend before I can take one off and photo it.

Suppose the best bet I can do is try them and see it they can be torqued up sufficiently. Just concerned that even if they fit, they may work lose May be better to get a new set to be sure.

Thanks for the advice
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

No problem :)

If you do get a photo I should be able to see if its the same as my alloy wheel ones. If it is then you wont need replacement to fit your alloys. :)
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

StevieOMG wrote:Many thanks. Yes mine do have the washer included as part of the nut. Will be the weekend before I can take one off and photo it.
Does it look like my description of the bolt with a taper on the shank?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
StevieOMG
My Cars:

Post by StevieOMG »

Paul-R

Yes. It fits your description. Am going to try with one wheel and see. Will torque to the correct setting. Do a few miles and then check again.

Cheers

StevieOMG
StevieOMG
My Cars:

Post by StevieOMG »

Okay. My research to date indicates that to fit OEM alloys, I need bolts which have a separate flat washer whereas my current bolts have the tapered washer (which is part of the bolt). Can anyone with alloys fitted confirm that the blt and washer as separate.

Many thanks
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes, the bolt and washer is a seperate thing, well the washer should come off but its not part of the bolt.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10