Xantia steering rack gaiter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Post by froggy »

Hi, I have just fitted a new gaiter to my steering rack. What a job ! After much effort, I squezzed on the gaiter but cannot get it to sit on steering end , I get one half on then the other slips off! so Iam unable to cable tie it . Anybody got any ideas, cheers Terry
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

I had a lot of trouble with the steering rack gaiter on my ZX, so I know it's an awkward job. I didn't have any trouble getting the large diameter end to stay on though. Are you using a genuine Citroen gaiter, or is it an after-market one? Could it be that the gaiter is slipping off because it's greasy? If so, clean the grease off with some meths, just on the bit where the rubber sits in the groove in the metal. Does the gaiter sit in a groove on the Xantia? On the ZX, you have two spring clips to hold the gaiter on. They look like a "figure 8" when they're closed. They're awkward to put on though. I managed to do it, but was considering using a tie-wrap. Have you tried moving the steering wheel to compress or expand the gaiter? I suppose you could try some Super Glue to hold one half on a bit better, whilst you struggle with the other bit. It will stick rubber to metal, if there's no grease present. You might tear the rubber though, so be careful.

One more idea - rather than putting one side on, then putting the other side on, try pulling the gaiter on in one operation. You can use three bits of wood to do this, maybe three ice lolly sticks or bits of clothes pegs. If you space the three sticks equally, around the circular metal piece, you should be able to slide the gaiter up the sticks, until it's in the groove. Or, you could use the sticks as levers, to expand the gaiter a bit. Be careful, as it's very easy to slip and make a hole in the gaiter.

Paul
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I can't really add to above advice though I can offer sympathy having experienced the pleasures of those gaiters in the past...
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Post by froggy »

Job now done, what a job ! probably a silly question, but is there a tool available to help you fit the gaaiter ? cheers Terry
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia steering rack gaiter

Post by CitroJim »

Terry, I know only too well what a rotten job this is... :evil:

There's a certain knack to it.....
froggy wrote:is there a tool available to help you fit the gaaiter ?
No, unless you count me and my girly fingers :lol: They have been used on one occasion as a tool to fit a gaiter. Ask Xac!!!!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...