C5 Rear Suspension Unit Gaiter Clips

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnway
My Cars:

C5 Rear Suspension Unit Gaiter Clips

Post by johnway »

Hi All,
Managed to remove these little wire b's with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver but how the heck do you refit them? Haynes describes the use of water pump pliers but this is not working for me - polite suggestions please!! These were obviously not designed for ease of removal/reinstallation so I have given up for now & and enjoying a relaxing beer instead. I was tempted to use cable ties instead - they work fine for drive shaft boots !!

All the best,
John.
My chariots : 2002 Pug 406 110 HDI Executive Estate 138K
1995 Citroen AX 1.0 Debut 26K
I Blame it all on my Dad!! (Sadly had to give up driving & his 2nd BX) but Mum still has a C1.
johnway
My Cars:

Clips

Post by johnway »

Just had a look at my Haynes BX manual & there is a picture of the relevant clips in there which appear to be of a different design. The simplest design from a maintenance point of view would have been a clip with a threaded screw or bolt head to loosen/tighten. Unfortunately Citroens have chosen to overlook this and have come up with convoluted bent wire contraptions. They must have a special tool for securing these blighters so any pointers will be most welcome. In the meantime I will have another go using pliers, stillsons, mole grips, levers & any other tools in my chest which I can throw at them!!

All the best,
John.
I Blame it all on my Dad!! (Sadly had to give up driving & his 2nd BX) but Mum still has a C1.
johnway
My Cars:

Done it !!

Post by johnway »

Success !! The main problem was trying to compress the clip and keeping it in place so it's not slipping around the gaiter : solution was to hold the clip in place with a clamp, leaving enough room to be able to access the locking eyes to the shaped end of the clip and compress the two together with a pair of flat jawed pliers. The jaws have to go on the end of the hook (eye) and the end of the shaped piece, then squeeze : simples when you know how !! Work on one hook at a time.
Now on to putting the rest of the rear end back together with the new bits.
All the best,
John.
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Do the clips look like a "figure 8" when they're closed. I had some like that on a steering rack gaiter. The best way I found to put them on, was to twist them with a piece of flat copper sheet. To undo them, use a screwdriver as a wedge.

Paul
johnway
My Cars:

The weaver

Post by johnway »

Hi there,
Thanks for your response - I was beginning to wonder if there was any interest out there. Since 1st posting this subject & adding a successful method I have made a "special tool " for the job which enables the fitting and securing of these clips at amazing speed and ease. Take a cheapo pair of stillsons and cut a groove into one of the jaws to accept the dia of the wire clip being worked on. Next, grind the 2nd jaw to a width which will fit inside the 2 wire coils - this will engage the 2 hook ends and enable compression of the clips resulting with the hooks engaging in place when the 2 jaws are squeezed. What was attempted with pliers etc for about 3 hours now is accomplished in 10 secs. !! Hope this helps all fellow enthusiasts,
Regards,
John.
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

John

It looks like you've got it all sorted out. There may be a special tool for the job but they're usually expensive and difficult to get hold of. It's sometimes easier to make your own tool, if you can. I usually have a look in the Laser Tools catalogue or Draper, and then probably end up making something.

Paul
johnway
My Cars:

The Weaver

Post by johnway »

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your input. Yes, I did make a "special tool" as per my last post and have now completed the os/rear end on my C5 - today comes the ns which should be much quicker now that I am prepared with the tools for the job.

Regards,
John.