Removing Mk1 keypad to access Airbag ecu?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Removing Mk1 keypad to access Airbag ecu?

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi,

Time is finally running out for the flashy airbag light on my Fathers Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD VSX Dashboard, he has decided that he would like the airbag light distinguished for good and is not prepared to fork out to repair the airbag system.
I have the instructions ready from BXman to extinguish the airbag light as I have already done on my Mk2 xantia, but getting the keypad out to access the airbag ECU on the Mk1 Xantia is prooving problematic.
I would like to avoid unplugging the keypad whilst it is out if the wiring loom is long enough.

any advice would be gratefully recieved.

many thanks in advance Nigel.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 11 Jun 2011, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Obviously, I would recommend that you fix the airbag system, theres not really a lot to go wrong. If you've tried soldering or putting on new connectors under the seats then really, the only other moving part that gets damaged is the steering wheel rotary connector. Depending on the age of the Xantia, is almost universal for all Pugs and Citroens (well the airbag side at least, radio controls can be a different ball game).

Either way, a second hand connector should only be a few quid.

Sorry, if that wasn't any help Nigel :oops: but I thought I'd better throw the idea out there.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Nigel, I'm with Kev here. Sort out the root cause rather than dealing with the symptom.

After disconnecting the battery, there is absolutely no risk whatsoever in disconnecting the keypad at it's connector. None whatsoever.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The keypad does NOT store the code anyway, its in the ECU...

The keypad is a dumb terminal .................. ............ isn't it??

As long as you know the code theres no problem.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote: The keypad is a dumb terminal .................. ............ isn't it??
Yep, as dumb as a dumb thing :D

Xac and I once proved that the code is in the immobiliser and not the pad on an XUD.

On a petrol the code will be in the ECU.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Get the motor running (head out on the highway, looking for adventure...)
Remove the keypad.
Stop the engine.
Fit an odments tray.
Inform insurance company for no extra cost to premiums (after all, being a Citroen Xantia is anti-theft enough).
Impress the ladies with your loose change under the ashtray.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

its a good job a bit of fiddling last night was productive and we managed to remove the keypad by first removing the ash tray, going to go ahead as with this car it is offering the same fault as my own but this fault seems illusive soldering the connections under the seats wont fix it and the steering wheel gismo is as breakable as thin glass I once fitted a Mk1 saxo cassette to my steering wheel and changed the orange plug on the end to get my radio controls going as the plugs pins are numbered, the cassette was otherwise either not the fault or something else was wrong anyway my airbag light has been off for a couple of years and I am happy with this for medical & personal reasons.

when you have been in a serious head on collision in a 1977 Moris marina estate (slightly less well built than an xantia estate)and the seatbelts did their job perfectly it does make you wonder why they put airbags in and a seatbelt that pulls tight across your lap. keep your distance regard everyone else as a total idiot on the road and you should be fine.

if the flashy light thing has been going on for more than three years whats the point in embarking on a repair it programme just apply BX mans simple fix by confusing the airbag ECU and the light goes out after two seconds when the ignition is turned on. I reckon if you keeping the car and your a pensioner (of old school type) its a matter 0f personal choice.
Besides father wants to keep the keypad he believes it is a deterrent to possible theives, I appreciate your comments that having an xantia is a deterrant enough Xac but there you go, it is a recession and theives are oppertunists and very often a bit stupid. :roll:

None of the above helps me to remove the keypad but thanks for the input anyway people. there have been a lot of questions over the years on the FCF about distinguishing the air bag light and BX mans efforts have prooved successful, when I contacted Citroen about this they wouldn't tell me how to do it for insurance purposes, yet when you buy a new Vauxhall they have a key to turn off the airbag system the choice is yours no legal problems there then. if I was given a new citroen I'd definately sell it on straight away. the buck stops with my Xantia and maybe soon a tin snail if I can find one reasonable enough to do up but that wont have airbags will it?

regards Nigel.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 11 Jun 2011, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Air bags cannot be that important if they are still NOT an MOT item!

I agree, I hate the bloody things, even though you cannot get away from them now..

Well, you can, get a S1 XM or a 1993/4 Xantia. My L reg Xantia is a NON Air bag one.. and I like it that way.

Unfortunally, the Xantia exclusive has got one... but at the moment its behaving.

Just out of interest for you, I have found the Air Bag module in the steering wheel to go faulty before now and put the light on... However, rather then mess with wires, would it have not been easyer to simply remove the bulb from the instrument panel..??? That is what I would do.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
falling-out-with-my-car

Paul,

that is the extreemly hard way of going about it, thats why I wanted to remove the keypad in the Mk1 xantia, under the keypad in the centre consul is the airbag ECU. in the Mk2 or S2 it is in the same location but under the trinket tray beneath the ashtray.

I suppose I had better include this disclaimer: if you do this I am not claimming any liability for your saftey as I pointed out above it is your personal choice and your responsibility only if you do this. unlike citroen I believe knowledge is better than suffering an orange flasshy light on the dash niggling at you for the rest of your vechicles life. and consequencial warnnings on every future MOT that your air bag light is flashing.

nearly every Vauxhall produced has a key hole in the end of the dashboard to turn of the airbag system either on the passenger side or drivers side.
they allow you a choice which by all accounts I believe citroen should do.

Citroen in slough would not tell me this information because I might claim compensation if it all went wrong, namby pamby idiots, I explained my position on this and why I wanted the air bag system switched off for medical reasons but still they wouldn't tell me, I even offered to sign a document that relinquished them of any responsibility but still they wouldn't tell me.

once the xantia ashtray is removed by pulling it out putting your finger under the centre of the ash tray and pulling the spring clip forward and lifting the ashtray upward, push the rest of the ashtray back toward the dash.

secondly prise the keypad/MK2 S2 trinket tray beneath the ashtray upward with a flat screwdriver at the gearstick end.
lift the keypad/trinket tray up and draw it away from the dash board end and it should slide out. the Mk1 keypad is a bit of a B*gger to get out but it will slide out with a little force.

Please do not post how to disable safety features on this forum Nigel
Please explain to me how disabling a system light bulb on an airbag system that is no longer working becomes a saftey issue???
funny that decision to remove how to do it when I got the solution on this forum anyway.
there is nothing wrong with anyone making their own choice you are as Bad as Citroen not realeasing codes to side street garages.

so much for living in a democracy.

and Im not making it personal and pointing at anyone in particular this time. it took me an hour and a half and a lot of effort to answer Pauls question in typing out that information you so boldly removed in a single stroke.
just because it doesnt agree with your opinion there is no need to be so spiteful and remove it. someone must have shares in Citroen :roll:
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 11 Jun 2011, 12:17, edited 3 times in total.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The key on the end of the dash, like the key by the hand brake in my Activa is to disable the PASSENGER airbag only, for when carrying a baby on the passenger seat.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car

Nanny state FCF watch out forum members They wont let you make your own choices, even if you do have a medical condition that requres you to turn off your xantia airbag system.in case it does you harm. Citroen wont tell you, I posted the way to do it this mornning but someone didnt agree with it and deleted it all. I only hope no-one has their xantia nicked or even worse car jacked with the occupants still in the car as a result of advice in this thread about removing the coded keypad. isnt that putting saftey at risk????
falling-out-with-my-car

Xac wrote:The key on the end of the dash, like the key by the hand brake in my Activa is to disable the PASSENGER airbag only, for when carrying a baby on the passenger seat.
And I suppose that doesnt become a saftey issue if you forget to turn it back on then?

what exactly is the saftey issue caused when deactivating a flashy bulb on the dashboard in an already faulty inactive system?
somebody didnt think about their actions before they deleted the information did they? anyone want the info send me an email I'll get this free information out there somehow.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Nigel.
Please read the Forum Regulations

It states there:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws.
Advising and giving instructions can be seen as violating the safety regulations with regard to motor vehicles.
What modifications you make to your own vehicle are your business and your responsibility entirely.

We appreciate they you have medical reasons for wishing to disable this safety feature, as some have for not using safety belts.
This is not something that can legally be applied globally.
Citroen are quite correct (legally speaking) in refusing to divulge methods of disabling safety devices.

Your arguments may be valid but are still to be seen as infringing legality, which the FCF as a legal entity cannot subscribe to nor condone.

When the passenger airbag is disabled using the ignition key, a very clear indicator illuminates on the instrument cluster and a warning is displayed on the info panel.
Spaces
Location: Rarely in one place for too long - Hebridean Islands and Yorkshire are my favourites
My Cars:

Post by Spaces »

Plenty of evidence around that airbags can be dangerous, but I suppose that would be too far-fetched for the nanny-state to believe... :roll:

Cheap tyres and/or un-serviced cars (instead of serviced and maintained by someone who knows what they're doing) far more dangerous than lack of an airbag.

Common-sense - as someone once said, it isn't common at all.
PeterN: "Honest John's forum put the last nail in the coffin of owning a 2000- car. Many were still servicable, but CR, DMFs and needing fault codes read because your horn doesn't work - no thanks. All my life I have generally understood cars - until now."
falling-out-with-my-car

i am sorry but legality doesnt even enter into it it is not a UK MOT requirement to have a working air bag system as yet.
as pointed out in the thread in question.

and I personally believe that it is an insult to those who do want to know not letting them make up their own adult minds by deleting the solution to turnning of the irritating flashing bulb on the dash board of an already fautly airbag system. why would you imagine that someone would turn off a working airbag system unless of course for medical reasons? "

"what is it they say?" "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Finally we are talking about citroen xantia's here there are certainly none I know of still under a full citroen warrenty, most are fully paid for and I would imagine that if they were under some kind of warrenty the airbag system would be repaired at the cost of the Trader.

I appolagise if you find my objections to the deleting of my earlier post insulting but I can assure I find the actions of whoever deleted it just as insulting I for one dont need my hand holding in life and I am sure that many other people would feel the same.