zx sqeak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

zx sqeak

Post by froggy »

Hi, my dear old ZX has a sqeal on the auxcillary belt. One of the pulleys has a mirror like shine , I guess I need to tighten it up ? If so how do I do it? many thanks Terry .
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Terry, what engine is in your ZX and does it have an aircon?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

ZX sqeal

Post by froggy »

Hi, Jim. It"s 1.9d and no air con.
cheers Terry.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

In which case: (I think I'm right by saying - do all ZXs have PAS or is the adjuster the same with or without so long as there's no air-con? Apologies if I'm incorrect)
Jack up the car, remove the right road wheel and wheel arch liner etc.
There are two locking nuts on the tensioner pulley assembly, one in the middle of the plate the pulley is fitted to, and one in the middle of the pulley itself (if it's still present, the plastic cap in the middle of the pulley will need to be knocked out - flat screwdriver and hammer). Loosen those and adjust the tension of the belt with the screw at the bottom of the plate.
They're all 6mm allen headed if I remember correctly, make sure you properly tighten the locking bolts too (as tight as you can go without breaking your allen wrench ;) ).
Polyvee belts do need a heck of a lot of tension, but if it's an old belt I'd recommend changing it - there's only so much you can achieve by tightening it, and they're not too expensive/difficult to replace.

-Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil: