Xantia Cracked Pipe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Xantia Cracked Pipe

Post by froggy »

I have a cracked pipe is this a MOT failure?

Thank You [/img]Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's not a pipe! It's a handbrake cable..

Cracks are quite common near the guide rings and will not be an MOT failure provided the handbrake is working correctly...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mdon

Post by Mdon »

On the subject of handbrake cables (and as Jim has said that is the handbrake cable) how hard are they to replace? My drivers side cable has snapped completely so I'm looking to replace them, only thong is I'm working away at the moment so I will only have the Saturday to do it.
Current vehicle
2010 peugeot 3008 1.6 HDi exclusive
2007 Citroen C5 20.HDi estate exclusive

Past French cars
2000 Xantia HDi 90 Forte
2002 C5 HDi 110 LX
2002 Renault laguna 1.8 16v
2008 Renault laguna estate 1.5dci
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mdon wrote:how hard are they to replace?
It's a job that looks difficult but is in fact dead easy :D It's rare on a Xantia to be able to say that but for once it's true...

Jack up and support the front of the car, release the cables from the calipers, crawl under, release the edge of the exhaust heatshield on the side where the cables disappear into it, prop the headshield with a block of wood, slide your hand in and feel for the cable compensator where the two cables terminate. identify the nippe of the one you want to replace, flick it up with your finger to disengage it from the compensator and pull the cable free.

Install new cable, taking care to get it through all the guide rings and then offer it back into the compensator with the inner fully extended, push and the nipple will engage into the mechanism.

Connect the other end to the caliper and adjust as per the BoL.

Note the cables are 'handed' in regard to length and the big engined cars (2.1TD, 110HDi, V6 and Activa) use a different LH cable to the rest of the range. GSF don't do the big engine LH cable but good factors can supply a Q-H cable at a good saving to the genuine Citroen item.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...