Poor Fuel Consumption?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BMcN
My Cars:

Poor Fuel Consumption?

Post by BMcN »

Ok I have never really been getting GOOD fuel consumption in my car. I got about 450 miles to a full tank.
It will do about 100 miles to £10 out on the A roads and I'd imagine less in the town. What can I try to fix this then? It was just serviced.
I was thinking some 10k boost and injector cleaner?
philbar
My Cars:

Post by philbar »

what car, engine size?fuel type?.....
Phil[:o)]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I see from your previous posts it's a 306TD that you have. From various data sheets the Gov't fuel consumption is quoted at 45mpg, but when the vehicle was road tested, a figure of 41.7mpg was produced. The consumption from 306's of a year later are all slightly more, probably due to the EGR system. Can we take it that the air filter was changed when it was serviced? Probably a few doses of injector cleaner would help. Also have you checked the brakes for binding and under-pressure of tyres. Could it also be that you need to weigh your right foot!!!???
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hmmm....450 miles with a 52 litre tank that works out at over 39mpg, assuming you would completely empty the tank, which you wouldn't, so you might not be far off the norm.
Here have a play with this.
http://hemsidor.torget.se/users/b/bohjo ... e.htm#fuel
Dave
BMcN
My Cars:

Post by BMcN »

It was about 62 litres that went into the tank. My car is a Ph1 Dturbo, sorry I was not long up when I posted! Also, it doesn't have an EGR.
62 litres to 450 miles is about 32MPG. I don't think my right foot is really that bad.
I changed the oil, fuel, air filter and oil when I serviced the car. Anything else?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Cabrio AFAIK has a 52L tank, thought the diesel would have the same.
You're right 32mpg is not too good for this car, so either you are a lead foot or there is something wrong.
Is it smoking much or not at all, could be getting too much fuel or not enough.
What sort of speeds do you normaly do, how much stop start town driving.
What pump is on it.
Dave
BMcN
My Cars:

Post by BMcN »

Its the lucus. Car is not smoking much. Smokes when it gets a booting after some town driving but thats about it.
The 306 TD's have a 60 litre tank and when I filled mine it was very low down on the red.
When I got the 450 litres it was about half stop start town driving and half 20 mile trips and one of about 150. Speed was anything from about 45-80 depending on traffic.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Speeds of 80mph aren't going to do anything for economy, the faster you want to get there the more its going to cost you, whatever the engine runs on.
Do another mpg test and limit your speed to 60 or lower, don't rev it hard and long, just enough to obtain the next gear without any labouring.
Dave