Xantia steering gaiter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Xantia steering gaiter

Post by froggy »

Hi, I have just bought a new rubber gaiter for the steering rack on my Xantia . Inside the box there is a tube of grease , where does this go ! sorry for the question ,
cheers Terry
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

does the gaitor look like it is to fit the rack, or have they sold you a CV boot,

also which side gaitor is it you are fitting, as you might already know the N/S one can be a fight to fit,

regards malcolm
froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Xantia steering gaiter

Post by froggy »

The diamiter of the new gaiter looks too big ! maybe they have given me a cv boot . ( whatever that is ?) It"s the front offside rubber gaiter on the steering rack
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, normally the steering rack gaiter comes without grease...

It's a rubber concertina about six inches long with a small hole (around 3/8") one end and a bigger hole of about an inch and a quarter the other...

When you refit it, smear a bit of ordinary moly grease (e.g. Castrol MS2) around to act as a fitting lubricant and to replace any lost lubricant from the rack itself.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...