Xsara Clutch Malfunction - failiure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Xsara Clutch Malfunction - failiure

Post by rory_perrett »

Without any warning the clutch on our 2001 Xsara HDi (90) hatch has malfunctioned.

Driving along changing up from 2nd to 3rd gears crash and its not going into gear.

The clutch appears to be only partially disengaging. It has a hydraulic clutch and the slave cylinder is still moving. Does anyone know how far it should move. I suspect it is still moving far enough as when the clutch is depressed the clutch pivot arm is not far from coming up against the edge of the slot in the bell housing.

This is looking like a gearbox out job :cry: . My initial thoughts are either a problem with the thrust bearing or the spring fingers on the pressure plate.

Anyone had similar?

Regards

Rory
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Its generally the lower gears that cause more problems along with actually selecting 1st or 2nd at a standstill if its dragging. :)

Changing up is a bit 'easier' on the transmission than changing down, if its just problems going into third I'd suspect an internal fault to be honest.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

How many miles has it done?

My Xsara needed a new clutch at 150,000 odd which coincided with timing belt change so I lifted the engine and box out together. Not easy as the access is so tight.

Anyway, when I pulled the clutch apart the plate was worn, which I expected from the way it was slipping but what I wasn't expecting was how worn the cover was with some of the "fingers" that the release bearing presses against nearly worn through. Now, I don't ride the clutch but I can imagine that anyone who does, or does a lot of clutch changing, could wear their way through and cause the collapse you're talking about.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

Spider - sorry might have slightly mis-led you there, it won't go into any gear with the engine running. Had to put it in gear and then drive it forward on the starter motor until it started to get it going so I could get the car home. (Fortunately less than a mile)

Mileage is 130k so possibly due for renewal as it is predominately a town car. Up until this, there were none of the usual signs, no slipping, no difficulty selecting gears, no pedal heaviness, etc.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Ah, as you said just third.

Clutch drag then. Its worth bleeding it anyway as a matter of course, even if you do not feel any air in the pedal.

If it persists, its highly likely to be clutch drag (failure to dis-engage) a new clutch is the solution in this case.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

Ok, dropped the gearbox out of the car this afternoon. Part of the coverplate assembly has fractured. This is moving, preventing the depression of the spring fingers from transmitting sufficient force to disengage the pressure plate. As Paul R observed, the ends of the fingers are very worn but there is still a fair bit of life left in the friction plate. However, that's immaterial now, as its new clutch time me thinks.

Image[/img]