How to repair a strut-top?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

How to repair a strut-top?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Strut top corrosion is a common MOT failure point, and the price of a new one probably condemns many old Xantia's to the scrapheap.

I think Paul (citroenxm) advised me not to throw away my old strut tops.

Are there any creative thinkers who can come up with a DIY refurbishment plan? Is the bit that goes simply a ring of metal with four tapped holes at each corner? Is that beyond a bit of amateur metalworking?

Any thoughts?

Neil
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

TBH its not worth doing it yourself, new ones are expensive yes but at a little over £120 each not awefully bad at all.
There are issues rebuilding yourself, firstly removing the old baseplate without damaging the aged rubber and then if you can remanufacture a new base you have to glue them back together all the while hoping that the old rubber isnt going to tear co axialy after many years of stress helped along by being forcivly removed from the old baseplate

There is a company that Xmexclusive of this forum, XMforum and strut top fame deals with to get strut tops rebuilt but this mainly deals with the issue of the rubber as the tops are stripped and re-cast with a new polymer resin, whilst small structural repairs can be made to the cones by welding this is mainly an xm top repair as they dont tend to rust like xant ones and new they are around £350 each if available at all which makes paying for the repair and shipping costs worthwhile.

For my Activa tops i just kept an eye out on the forum here, so long as you get the right non or hydractive ones you will be ok, you can even drill out and tapp non hydractive ones and fit them if you like.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Take a look at the speared strut top thread for information about their repair, or check Jim's article in a recent edition of the Citroenian.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Managed to find the Citroenian article by Jim on the internet. Elastomer.eu from Lithuania I think (the two mentions of Lithuania were circled in red anyway!) had posted it up and it hit the google search as the first item.

Some interesting pictures, including the author :)
here's an extract

This is a strut top which i recently replaced. I will keep it in the shed just in case it can be economically recycled at some point.

Neil
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Expect to get my next batch ready to send off for remanufacturing in the next month. These will be mainly large strut XM ones.
There are some interesting redesign features that I want to negotiate about. I would like to incorporate the C5 design corrections Citroen made.
Design history is XM poor but results did not show untill after the Xantia changes made things many times worse. Most problems then eliminated with the C5 one.

John
Last edited by xmexclusive on 04 Jun 2011, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Xmexclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Interesting to see a Citroenian article making an appearance on FB :D :D

For those who wish to see the article Neil found, it's here

I see that not only is my picture all over the web but my home address and telephone number too :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote: I see that not only is my picture all over the web but my home address and telephone number too :twisted:
Might be an idea to ask them to put a block of colour over your details Jim.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a great idea Xac...

I'll get hold of them and ask... I've no worries FCF members having this info but not the whole world...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KINGas

Post by KINGas »

Hi guys,

I've just covered Jim's personal info in scanned photos.

Regarding strut tops.
XM's strut tops renovation is ordered from various countries and this project is moving fairly good.

Xantia's are moving very slowly as we don't get orders and renewed only a few for Lithuanian clients. But today we received a couple Xantia strut tops from France and will have some positive move.
For Xantia's right now and in the near future we will add (and weld) additional metal plate from the bottom if the plate will be hardly damaged by corrosion. In the further future we have plans producing new bottom plate, but currently we don't have such opportunity.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

KINGas wrote: I've just covered Jim's personal info in scanned photos.
Thank you sir :D That is most kind!!!

Excellent news on Xantia strut tops too :D
Jim