Clunking noise and auxiliary belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Napolian
My Cars:

Post by Napolian »

Hi, I am puzzled about my trustee Xantia 1.9td (AC) failing yesterday. Suddenly there became a clanking noise from the engine. On inspection the auxiliary belt was shredding. The AA man was also puzzled as it “could be the big-end shells” or it “could be the timing belt assembly”. I can’t understand what the connection would be in order to shred the auxiliary belt. The cost of such engine repairs seem to be horrendous so any pointers will be greatly received.
Enchanté de faire votre connaissance
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

As you will need a new one anyway, I think I would cut the aux belt off and check all of the pulleys and idlers first? one must be loose causing the noise and the shred?
Could be the AC pump ?

i cant see how the big ends can be connected to be honest..
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

This is a shot in the dark but on some PSA cars the crankshaft pulley is also a damper. It has a inner part and an outer part bonded together with a rubber compound, this compound can disintegrate which allows the outer rim to move in ways it shouldn't with the consequence that it can shred belts, make screeching or rattling noises.

Check this first.

Steve.
not applicable
Napolian
My Cars:

Post by Napolian »

Thank you for your replies.

On making an inspection it appears that the auxiliary belt has shredded and some of it got trapped under the cam-belt causing it to slip. Both were changed three years ago according the previous owner’s garage bill!

There is no doubt valve damage so the car will have to stay off the road until I have time to repair it. The local garage wants £1200 for doing it. (unless someone knows a cheaper garage in Hampshire).
Enchanté de faire votre connaissance
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

steelcityuk wrote:consequence that it can shred belts, make screeching or rattling noises.

Check this first.
Absolutely, and then after that the automatic tensioner. Check it is smooth and free in its operation and the jockey wheel is not cocked up at an angle. Often the needle roller bearings fail inside it or the pivot bolt shears.

You may be lucky with the valves. Replace the campbelt, retime it and cross fingers. As the valves are perpendicular to the pistons, they often escape unscathed. The noise may not be the valves at all, just a diesel knock from being off-time.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...