Replacing a door mirror?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Penguin
My Cars:

Replacing a door mirror?

Post by Penguin »

Chaps

Yet another query from me. On friday my wife encountered a BMW driver who appeared to think that he owned the road (I know, I was shocked as well) whilst driving doen the country lanes to pick me up from work. She had pulled the Xantia into the hedge as far as it would go only for said BMW driver to race past and smash the mirror in the process. Needless to say he didn't stop and we can only hope that he inflicted more damage to his car than he did to mine. With judicial use of superglue and Duct Tape I managed to hole the mirror in place for the ensuing journey but as it is a bit wobbly I guess really I should replace it. My question therefore is..... just how much of a PITA is it going to be to replace, assuming I can get a replacement that is?
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Leccy or manual?

I've done a manual but not a leccy - you just have to strip off the door panel and then unbolt and thread the wires out. Don't know if you can do a leccy one without taking the door panel off - possibly not as IIRC the panel that covers the bolts is behind the door panel....
Richard W
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Not difficult, about 20-30 minutes with the right tools. Door card has to come off as the wiring is hidden behind it and is threaded through the door frame.

If you get a replacement door mirror assembly, make sure you get the right one if you have a heated mirror.

If you are in Sussexland, pm me or Citronut, as we can do them blindfolded. :shock:

H
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Thanks for taking the time to respond Rich. It is indeed a leccy one. Is the removal of a door panel a masochistic delight or reasonable straightforward? When answering this query please bear in mind that whilst I can tell the difference between ends of a screwdriver my mechanical knowledge/ability doesn't go much further!
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Thanks for the info Handyman. Unfortunately I am in Torbay so will have to do this myself. When you say 'the right tools' what would they be exactly? Also, my mirror isnot heated but if I got a heated one would it be OK or shoudl I hold out for a non heated but electrically adjustable one?

Thanks again folks
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Being a 95 SX theres a HIGH chance of being heated.. as my 94 L reg SX has heated mirrors..

I think Later LX cars from 1997 gained electric but non heated..

You will need a T10 Torx, a T30 torx, and a T20 Torx drivers... flat blade screw driver to remove the speaker grill..

Remove the grill...

Remove the 3 T20 screws in the recesses hiding behind the speaker grill

Remove the T10 thats hidden upwards behind the Arm rest were it meets the electric window switches

Remove that panel that houses the electric window switches

Remove the 2x T30 (Gold Heads) torx screws.

Remove the other two that are in the Arm rest area.

remove the Lock button.. bit of a fiddle, but im sure its described in the BoL

Prise the door card away carefully in hope that none of the poppers dont break.

The mirror is held on with 5x T20 Torx scrwews, two hidden behind the quarter trim which needs prizing away gently, the "holding" feet break easilly. Where the Ultra sonic sensor for the alarm lives..

make sure the window is up, the harness is held back away from the window by a plastic C type clip, you need to move the wires out of this, and needs to be done by feel.. Follow the wires by hand and you should find that out...

Its essential to remove the One Touch Window Black box to get at the harness.. The mirror plugs are the white one and IIRC yellow one.

The SX doesn't have outside temperture so that shouldn't be there either.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Thanks Paul. Sounds a bit of a faff but I expected nothing less TBH. As for the mirror being heated, would there be a switch to turn it on or is it automatic? If its a switch then I don't have one and if its automatic then its broken as it does mist up in the winter. I believe that I purchased a set of Torx bits when I bought the car as it seemed like an essential accessory!
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Penquin, you will need a selection of Torx drivers or keys, as all the fasteners are this type. You will also need to understand how to remove the door lock indicator. It has been noted in the archive so worth looking up. The door card panel in poped off from the bottom and pushed up to remove as it is hooked onto the top of the inner door frame.

If you get a unit with heated mirror it will still fit, as the wiring is all similar, just you wont be using the heater connections.

H
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The heated mirrors work WITH the Rear heated screen, so are connected to the same cuircuit as the Rear window switch on the dash..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Wow, everyday's a schoolday! Thansk for all the info folks. First job appears to be - locate a replacement!

Cheers
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I have a wing mirror (electric) from a 1994 Xantia 1.9TD SX
I will post up a picture once the battery on my camera has charged up.

I also took some pictures of the process of taking it off which may help you.

It is the driver's door mirror I have, and its just the normal grey plastic.

Not sure if it is/was heated. It has two electrical connectors attached one white with two wires (yellow/green plus red), and one yellow with three wires (white,brown, and black).

If you want it let me know

regards

Neil
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

It look me 2 1/2 years to realise that I had heated wing mirrors on my Xantia :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Neil, when you say grey plastic is that the dark grey almost black or quite pale grey? My current mirrors are pretty much black. I guess if I were more patient I could have waited until you had posted an image but patiience isn't something I am reknowned for!

As for your photos of the process, I would very much appreciate seeing those. Better to have too much info than not enough (unless, of course it is conflicting!)

Cheers
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I have a feeling they are going to be a bit too grey for you. Its the hot Northumberland sun beating down which bleaches them :) .

As a bit of illustration the fleece is pretty black, my ear flap hat is definitely grey and the wing mirror is I would say....grey.

What do you think?

here is the url for a bigger resolution image

wing mirror, hat and fleece

Another URL for my first Youtube video-yes its been my day off today!

citvids-Xantia-wing mirror removal

Neil
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Give them a shot of "Back To Black" or similar.