406 cruise control parts

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davoxx
(Donor 2020)

406 cruise control parts

Post by davoxx »

I'm looking for the part numbers for the whole cruise control system for a 406, to stick in an xantia :)

and if anyone knows what models they were on (for the purposes of calling scrap yards) that would help lots!!!

or if anyone has the parts for sale, please pm :)
why?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Why not get it from a Xantia?

Most Exclusive Automatics will have cruise fitted. Also a good few XMs had the same system.

Did the 406 use the same system then?

What are you intending to install it on? Not all can be suitable recipients. If there is a ball on the throttle body quadrant and a mount for the bellows then it is. I believe the Activa 2.0TCT has the required mountings...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

sorry should have said - for a manual gear box the tct or 110hp hdi.

i was told not a single xantia received cruise control, but that some pugeot models did (not sure if they were only on automatics).
why?
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

The XM cruise systems (at least two) are different to the Pug 406 installation.
Tried scavanging 406 bits for my XM's a while ago.

John
Xmexclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It is most likely any cruise system you manage to recover from whatever vehicle will have been for an automatic. When fitting the system to any manual transmission car it is vital you arrange for both brake and clutch pedal disengagement switches so that a light touch of either will instantly disengage cruise. The switch on the automatic's brake pedal will not fit a manual brake pedal...

These disengagement switches are an essential safety feature and you should try to get the genuine articles rather than trying to fabricate your own..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

CitroJim wrote:These disengagement switches are an essential safety feature and you should try to get the genuine articles rather than trying to fabricate your own..
agreed, hence i am looking for part numbers.
why?
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Look for Coupé's

Cruise control was an option fitted both to manual and auto models. It is also quite a common sight on Coupés.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

The brake switch on the XM uses extra back contacts on the switch for cruise. Once you get inside to the switch the assembly is the same for auto or manual. Not all XM model brake switches have the extra contacts and even when they are present they are a common source of cruise failure.
A particular problem with XM cruise retrofit which is seldom easy except perhaps on the 2.5TD which was the only XM manual to get cruise. A unique engine ECU controlled version of cruise. Translating these routines to another ECU type would be neigh on impossible. The Vac operated cruise systems on the other XM's is in my opinion a Heath-Robinsion piece of unreliable junk but is a complete independant system with its own ECU so has retrofit potential. Look for non 2.5 XM SED or exclusive cars to rob.

John
Xmexclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

xmexclusive wrote:The Vac operated cruise systems on the other XM's is in my opinion a Heath-Robinsion piece of unreliable junk
That's the same one as on the Xantia John :lol: :lol: :lol: The very old Hella system. Agreed, it's a hella of a system and hellish to keep working..

When it does though, it's good...

I believe it first saw the light of day on the Rover SD1.

It's that old... :roll:
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

When it works, I reckon it's not bad.

Motorised throttle cars have better cruise from my experience - but this is unlikely to be what Davo is going to pull off.

FWIW the part numbers (where shown) on the main components are not going to match PSA reference numbers.
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

i've found a pug coupe for parts with cruise control. tct engine - so i'm going to try it for a petrol activa first.

can any one give me a list of the parts i need to take?
why?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm assuming you have some degree of mechanical knack, and that it's a Series 2 recipient:

Stalk and three (or two?) securing screws to shroud - you can almost make out the blanking imprint in the column shroud - I carefully cut mine based on these faint lines.

Violet relay from cabin fusebox - plugs into violet socket in your car.

Dash switch - may not match your plug type/config.

Hella control box (silver) with separate mount bracket and screws/bolts. It's somewhere inside the car, whether under dash or under carpet near driver's seat or under centre console.

Vacuum pump/regulator with vac line and covering sleeve of split convoluted sheathing - think one or two 10mm head bolts to mount baseplate. Look under nearside wing, below battery for this.

Bellows and bracketry with securing screws. Don't overlook E-clip on the throttle cable end bracket assembly.
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

addo ... thank you very much!!!

i do have some knack .. just wanted to be sure i took all parts out in one go rather than having to come back and forth and getting charged more and more.

the pug is a 99/00 and it is going into an activa (probably s1)
why?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

OK, for a Series 1 maybe take the plugs/sockets plus much harness as practicable.

Other way to check is plug yourrecipient VIN into SC and see what part number the central harness has. Then remove filtering and compare this with "speed control" cars. Remove your column shroud and see if the brown cruise stalk plug is wrapped in foam and tucked away near the clocks.