Xantia ABS newby

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Be-Exer
My Cars:

Xantia ABS newby

Post by Be-Exer »

Hi All - just got my first Xantia after years of BX's. I'm learning rapidly about newer tech and assumed that the ABS was OK on my new acquisition because the dash light went out promptly, but as I was doing an oil change yesterday I noticed that the plastic ABS rings had split on the CV joints. This made me look further and I found that the multiplug had been disconnected from the block in front of the LHM reservoir. I'm amazed that the dash light goes out in this condition!
From the little I know I'd imagine that if the ABS were connected that I could expect juddering etc.
I see that it is possible to clean up the metal and rebond the rings or that it is possible to buy metal replacement rings. Are these viable repairs?
Paul
93 Bx 19 TXD Estate
00 Xantia HDi110 Estate
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Normally dash light shouldn't go out under these circumstances,
unless the previous owner soldered new links behind the instrument panel :roll:
Be prepared for surprises there :?

Rings can be bought (for example check ebay) separately and fixed.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Be-Exer
My Cars:

Post by Be-Exer »

I wondered about about somebody messing with the lamp but that would have to be timed in some way to come on and then go out automatically?
Or connected to the glow plug indicator?
Paul
93 Bx 19 TXD Estate
00 Xantia HDi110 Estate
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

With the ABS plug disconnected the light SHOULD be on constantly.

I WILL tell you why it has been disconected, as theres a break in the ABS ring the previous owner has most likely found that when comming to a stop the brakes have been RELEASING due to sensor confusion from the loose ABS ring...

And hence so the light has been wired in the dash to either the Diagnostic light or the oil light.. in line.

The ABS ring is ok to sort, you can get new ones for around 16 quid off Ebay and they are heated and shrinked onto the CV joint... OR get another CV joint, or, which I have done, remove the ABS ring, clean ALL rust and corosion off both the ring inner side and CV joint, and spot weld it back on with a Mig making sure the gap is as closed as possible.

Paul

PS: And I notice your only up the road from me in Wirral. Im over in North Wales, Conwy/Anglesey area.. so anything serious let me know. Stocks of parts always carried, but mostly for S1 cars (up to P reg)
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Be-Exer
My Cars:

Post by Be-Exer »

Thank you both for the advice and support - do you think it could have got thro' an MOT with this arrangement as it was offered to me with this option?
BTW the rings are plastic on my car :(
Paul
93 Bx 19 TXD Estate
00 Xantia HDi110 Estate
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

ah I see now, a 2000 Y reg model...

The MOT test relies on the ABS light to tell them the system works.. as long as it goes out they will pass... They DO NOT actually physically test the system. So on that, the car will still pass an MOT on the light, but they may pick up on the loose ring.

Are you sure its plastic? I find that hard to beleve... If it is, super glue it back on... LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Be-Exer
My Cars:

Post by Be-Exer »

It's on an X plate and the corrosion on the cv joints has burst both of the plastic front rings - :idea: I was going to take them both off, strop the hub with emery cloth and then bond them back on using silicone, held with a big jubilee clip till it cures. I don't like using a stronger bond as it can be impossible to remove and superglue never seems to work for me on a job like this. Mind you some plastics are just near impossible to bond!
TBH I have been concerned that there is something worse than loose ABS rings causing this bypass but who knows - I didn't actually want ABS on any vehicle of mine as I don't like complication and "granny-safe" stuff :).
Paul
93 Bx 19 TXD Estate
00 Xantia HDi110 Estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote: Are you sure its plastic? I find that hard to beleve... If it is, super glue it back on... LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
They are ferrous metal, they have to be otherwise the sensors, being magnetic devices, could not work..

Glue them on, yes... It is possible. I've just submitted my July CCC Xantis Files column that contains a piece on just that.

Give me an hour or so and I'll post up the basic details here...

MOT: If the MOT tester is savvy, he'll realise the light has been fooled as it should briefly flicker a few times whilst it is running through its ignition on self-test process. Chances are that it would pass the MOT but in my opinion a Xantia with non-working ABS is dangerous due to the power the brakes can exert and how easy it is to end up in a four-wheel slide...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Here's how to Araldite on the ring...
The toothed ring on the offending hub had split. This in itself was not catastrophic, as the gap was tiny, but as it's only held in place by an interference fit on the driveshaft, it was able to gradually move sideways, away from the sensor, reducing signal strength.

Citroën do not sell the toothed ring separately, but as ever, the aftermarket is happy to fill the gap. A Google search on "ABS ring" or "reluctor" will quickly turn up several sources. UK Parts Direct is one source and they cost around £17.

The website indicates all Xantias use the same part but that is not so. Check the dimensions of the old ring very carefully.

Thoroughly de-rust the ring and the hub and then araldite it in place, using a large jubilee clip to maintain tension and position until
the glue cured. A couple of coats of paint on the top & it's been fine for the last 6 months.

Note use of masking tape between the jubilee clip and the toothed ring. This will prevent the clip becoming forever stuck to the driveshaft........

The "official" technique is to heat the replacement ring to dull red and then tap it into place.
Here's a picture of the ring setting under the Jubilee clip...

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Be-Exer
My Cars:

Post by Be-Exer »

8-) Great info fellas - must've had too many beers on Friday nite to tell what I was looking at on Saturday morning!
Hear what you are saying about the brakes Citroj. - they are powerful for a family car. I ride a couple of superbikes a lot of the time so it doesn't seem that bad but, of course, I've only had the car five minutes :)
Paul
93 Bx 19 TXD Estate
00 Xantia HDi110 Estate
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

CitroJim wrote:Here's how to Araldite on the ring...
That's a nice tip, thanks :) I've saved the pic, who knows, may be someday I also might need it :wink:
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual