ZX 1.9D Clutch Judder

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caspar
My Cars:

ZX 1.9D Clutch Judder

Post by caspar »

Have just bought a low mileage ZX 1.9 (non turbo) and everything seems good except a judder when moving off. If I engage the clutch gently all is ok but if I need to make a quicker getaway it judders as the clutch bites.
Is this likely to be a worn clutch or could it be engine mounts?
Thanks.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Its likely the clutch itself although engine mounts are a point I would of mentioned.

Drive at about 30 mph in 3rd gear and try acc on and off listen carefully for noise. It will shunt if you are a bit vicious with it but excess should be noticed.

The other (easy) way is to see how much movement there is in the gearbox (under battery) mounting.

The rear one tends to wear but that's oil contamination, that will give a shunt on acc on / off usually not judder.

If changing clutch ensure you get all three parts (well two if its the push clutch)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Very often giving the clutch a gentle burn off will cure it, try slipping it a bit as you pull away a few times. I have had this problem on several diesel clutches and I'm sure its caused by lack of slip when pulling away because of the excellent low down torque, I think the surface of the plate must get rough because a bit of slipping usually cures it.

Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

were is the biteing point, if near the top of pedel travle this can cause judder,

if this is the case adjust the cable/clutch,

Andy if two piece if its a pull clutch three if a push,

regards malcolm
Last edited by citronut on 28 May 2011, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A D is likely to be a push clutch Malcolm :D So much easier....

On these push clutches, mainly on 205Ds, the problem has been that the release bearing has worn a groove in the diaphragm spring tips and this causes judder as the release bearing rides over them at bite point.

The D push clutch is a relatively straightforward one to swap and much easier than a pull type...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes Sir Jim i know that, i was comenting on Andy saying a two piece clutch is the push type (NOT ) :wink:

regards malcolm
caspar
My Cars:

Post by caspar »

Thanks for the information, hope to have a look at it tomorrow.
caspar
My Cars:

Post by caspar »

Had a look today and the clutch bites about half way through it's travel so don't think it needs adjusting.
Tried a gentle burn off as suggested but hasn't made any difference.
Not had a chance to look at the engine mounts yet.
The clutch shows no sign of slipping so will probably leave it for now and see how it goes for a while.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think in that case it will be either the thrust bearing seizeing up, and or burnning its way through the presure plate fingers,

i have just last week fitted a new clutch to my freind 2.0lt HDI Piscasoooo,

the thrust bearing had completly brocken up and the plastic centre had melted to the guide bush, and some of the presure plate finger tips were completly missing the others had folded completly over on themselves,

also only 4 ball bearings in sight,

regards malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

A bad clutch ruins the car, yet changing it is almost always put off till the last moment, due to perceived cost (or real, in the case of some modern cars :lol: ). If the car is a keeper, and nothing else is arwy I would bang a new clutch in it - shouldn't be too dear for a 1.9D and not too arduous to fit - doable in a day DIY probably. We had a pretty duff clutch (judder and it must have had a groove in it, because you couldn't hold it on the clutch) in a Visa Special that we put up with for most of the time we had it - a new one would have transformed the drive (well, up to a point, it was a Visa Special after all 8-) ) - wish I had stuck a new one in. Would have been very easy on one of the (at least 2 :oops: ) occasions I had to rebuild the front end after some unitentional modification took place :roll:
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the suit cased Visa engine was very easy to fit a clutch as the gear box is in the sump, so you dont seperate the engine and box, you just remove the clutch houseing and trasfer box,

regards malcolm