MOT Procedure question

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

MOT Procedure question

Post by OwenP »

Couple of odd questions here.

During an MOT:

Would the garage remove the radiator/expansion bottle cap?

Would they remove the engine cover on an HDi?

This is on a 51 plate 406 2.0HDi 90BHp.

Cheers.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Probably not as they are not allowed really to dismantle anything.

Although having said that before the emissions test checking oil and water levels is normal and sensible (although probably not part of the test, they would want to be sure, I would) so its likely they would remove the rad cap.

Why ? :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The mechanical condition of the engine is of no concern to the MOT, the only engine parameter they're interested in is if the emissions are within the permitted limits. Apart from that, they're not interested unless of course they're touting for work.

As Andy says, why the question?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider

Post by spider »

I believe they have the right to refuse the emission test on a diesel if they think the engine condition is so poor it may be destroyed by the test but that's rare I would guess. The onus is on the owner to present it in a safe condition. :)
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote:I believe they have the right to refuse the emission test on a diesel if they think the engine condition is so poor it may be destroyed by the test but that's rare I would guess.
Good point Andy, one of our local testing joints has/had a big poster on the wall stating just that...

If a cambelt is on it's last legs then the test could just see if off... If that happens, the MOT establishment is not liable...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

I checked under the bonnet this afternoon before a long drive and found the radiator cap half un-done and two of the cover mounts were sheered off. The garage are the only people who have been under the bonnet for the past month till me today. I'm certain neither of the items were in such condition before the MOT.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's not good Owen :twisted:

I always find the radio tuned to Radio 1 (from Radio 4) and the seat heaters on full-tilt after an MOT :evil:

Radio 1, I ask you? :roll:

Oh, and the rear fogs are usually left on as well...
Jim

spider

Post by spider »

The clips holding the cover on, its not unknown for them to vibrate off as they do 'wear' as they are a U shaped piece inside the plastic top itself.

If you mean actually snapped / sheared off the mountings that's not good :( , sounds like someone pulled it off thinking it was DW8 style (actually some other makes have a cover that's just held on with rubber mounts and does just pull off)
Andy.

OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

It's the rubber posts that have gone, the top clips were holding the posts on the cover. Both gone on the same side. Think I will be having words with them on Monday.

I wouldn't mind the clips had they owned up to it. I'm more fussed about the rad cap as it was only by chance that I though to check the water level and it wasn't on tight enough to form a seal.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the rubber posts can just fail as the rubber perrish's and the garage should not go or need to go under there

although they might if they are trying to get a pulse for the RPM inductive clamp,

the garage i take mine and my customers car to for MOT,'s do check oil and coolant before the emmision's test, quite rightly to as they are looking out on the customers behalf,

regards malcolm
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

The rubber mounts for the HDi 8V engine cover never stay intact for long. They unbond from the bolt head and vibrate around.

My 2.0HDi 206 was awful for this, must have been how the air was deflected under the bonnet on the 206. I replaced the mounts over and over and eventually became used to supergluing them back in places as they would last the same time. On that the cover would lift back at speed and pull the dipstick out :shock:

I have had to replace a few on my 8v HDi C5s too, but not as many. It was easy to tell if they had gone as the engine sounded clattery - just the engine cover vibrating around.

I doubt your MOT tester has even touched that, its just wear and tear.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm having mental pictures of covers being safety wired in place - just like many of us did with carby float screws and the like... The old is new again.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you mean semi temperay permanent Adam :shock: :lol:

regards malcolm
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: MOT Procedure question

Post by JohnD »

OwenP wrote: Would they remove the engine cover on an HDi?

In my experience - No! they never have. But I have discovered in the past a couple of the retaining posts on our '02 HDI have broken. I've cleaned them up and super-glued back again.

There used to be a time when the guy doing the MOT asked when the cambelt was last changed. Don't know whether that was a necessary question or just having an eye to business. Now they just rely on the warning poster.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1