Xantia automatic flexplate

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Benzine

Xantia automatic flexplate

Post by Benzine »

I'm currently trying to mate up an XUD9TE engine to an auto box (RWD) and I've read that there was an auto xantia diesel, perfect... I can use the flexplate from that and bolt on the torque convertor from my RWD auto box. I need the flexplate from such a car but when I emailed my local citroen dealer they emailed this pic back:

which shows a sort of triangular flexplate but no ring gear is on it and it's a weird shape.

My old flexplate (and how most flexplates appear when searching on google images)

Can anyone shed any light on what the flexplate should look like and where I can get one? Many thanks!
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

That is indeed a flexplate the dealer has sent you a picture of, it bolts to the crankshaft through the flywheel via the 8 bolts at its centre.
It is just a very hard steel plate that the t/C bolts to at three points and gives a flexable coupling to stop the transmission of vibration from one unit to the other.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The second picture is not a flex plate I'd say, that's a flywheel with holes drilled to mount the torque convertor to.

The picture you have from the dealer is incomplete. The triangular flexplate is held against a very lightweight flywheel with holes in it corresponsing to the TC mounting holes to give access to the bolts.

To marry a 'foreign' autobox to the XUD9TE you'll need the XUD9TE flywheel and flexplate. You may need to make up a custom flexplate to mate with the torque convertor you plan to use or have a skilled engineering shop weld new mounting flanges onto your torque convertor to mate up with the correct XUD9TE flex plate.

I'm curious. What's the project? Sounds very interesting.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Benzine

Post by Benzine »

Thanks very much for the info. okay I think I've confused myself. The second pic is what my torque convertor bolted to on the old engine, so is that an automatic flywheel? (it's only about 2-3mm and very light compared to a normal flywheel) So the old box didn't have a flexplate, just an auto flywheel. Did the auto xantia have such a flywheel i.e. thin/lightweight with a starter ring gear?

Oh the project is using the XUD engine in a volvo amazon
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

interesting little project there........

The xant flywheel was very light weight as jim says, as it only has to do one job and that is support the ring gear for the starter, the flywheel affect is given in the main by the torque converter.
The flywheel you have does look weird but as also said you will need a xant flywheel to mate up with the starter and crank mounts, fabricating a flex plate is easy enough in the right hands.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Benzine

Post by Benzine »

Deanxm wrote:interesting little project there........

The xant flywheel was very light weight as jim says, as it only has to do one job and that is support the ring gear for the starter, the flywheel affect is given in the main by the torque converter.
The flywheel you have does look weird but as also said you will need a xant flywheel to mate up with the starter and crank mounts, fabricating a flex plate is easy enough in the right hands.

D
Thanks for the info. I got an email back from local citroen dealer about a new flywheel and it's a bit too expensive! Having a hard time finding an auto in local scrapyards/ebay etc to get a flywheel from :( Getting one made would probably be more than a new flywheel so I'll keep looking for secondhand first and if no luck in the next few weeks I might order a new one.

edit: does anyone know if any other engines share the same crank bolt pattern and starter ring gear that came in auto. I've seen a 1.8 petrol auto, if they are the same that will increase my chances of finding a flywheel

cheers
Frenchy Expat
My Cars: peugeot 504

Re: Xantia automatic flexplate

Post by Frenchy Expat »

Hey there Benzine,
just found your old thread, did you ever finish that project?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Frenchy Expat wrote:Hey there Benzine,
Sadly, we will probably never know, as he has not been active on this forum for more than 4 years.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Benzine

Post by Benzine »

xantia_v6 wrote:
Frenchy Expat wrote:Hey there Benzine,
Sadly, we will probably never know, as he has not been active on this forum for more than 4 years.

Print this thread out, place the paper on a plate and eat those words, sir! :lol:

I found an auto flywheel in the end, but it didn't get used. Instead I put the XUD in my kit car with an R380 manual. I was originally going to use the XUD + autobox in a volvo amazon, instead i'm using a mercedes OM602 with a merc box as it'll bolt straight on