ZX Brake Shoes - stupid question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RobinMasters

ZX Brake Shoes - stupid question

Post by RobinMasters »

Do I really need to remove the hub from the car? Looking at the BoL, there doesn't appear to be any reason to; it looks like the drum will come straight off.

While we're at it, any other tips on doing it?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi -

Yes you will have to remove the rear hub, as this is integrated into the drum :wink:
There is one exception to this rule : Break (Estate) versions with rear drum brakes have separate hub and drum.

The handbrake mechanism must be released fully before attempting to remove the drums.
Gently tap the drum outwards round the edge while you keep turning the drum back and forth.
This ensures that the brake shoes are kept centered and frees the drum.

You may use a puller to withdraw the drum, but keep the gentle tapping to ensure the brakeshoes frees off the drum.
Last edited by AndersDK on 20 May 2011, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
RobinMasters

Post by RobinMasters »

Thanks Anders, I just wanted to avid buying a 32mm socket :D
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

You may find that when you pull off the drum, half of the wheel bearing will leave itself stuck to the stub axle. Don't worry about this toooo much, just be absolutely certain that you don't get any s**t (technical term) on the bearing, and expect it to need replacing soon. Also don't be tempted to apply grease to said bearing.

My ZX failed its MOT on rear braking performance last year, pulled the hub off to inspect the shoe thickness to find that the shoes were fine, but someone had loaded up the bearing with mineral grease to (stop it whining presumably) which then migrated onto the shoes.

-Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
RobinMasters

Post by RobinMasters »

Alex, that is exactly what happened. And it turns out my shoes are ok too, but mine are covered in brake fluid from a leaky cylinder.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Happened to both of mine last year.
Funtimes replacing a wheel bearing on one side for an MOT, and promptly breaking the other when checking the shoes.

Give the shoes a really good hose down with some brake cleaner and they should be good to go. My greased ones worked fine after a bit of a wipe down.

Those wheel cylinders can be a bit of a pain to replace. Careful about the mounting bolts, I believe they're allen headed and usually stuck fast.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if the bearing does come apart whilst pulling the drum off, it is possible to remove the inner inner race/bearing and re/assemble, and you can grease them but dont pack with grease,

after cleanning just press grease into the cage and rollers and a smear in the outter race,

regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

In addition to Malcolms advice, you should check that the seal rings are still in working condition.
They are only a few quid and helps preventing the bearing grease reaching the brake shoes.

3724.24 - HUB SEAL
3726.17 - CUP RING
There is also a spacer which usually outlasts the car.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image