Removing alternator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Removing alternator

Post by dieseldoggy »

Hi all is haynes BOL having a laugh?. The pics don't correspond to anything like my car or info.(showing terminals!) yeah if you have removed half the car you can see clearly?. alternator brackets! Don't look/mention anything like what you're doing or trying to do?.(leave long bolt in just slide out and remove alternator from engine bay) Yeah who they kidding you can just about see stupid thing under LHM pump where it's stuck between that and aircon pump.

Think they should come and remove for me!.
Won't say what we called them but refers to yanking a piece of your anatomy.
xantia 19td estate 96-7
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It is possible and it's really not too bad despite looking impossible. Before continuing, does your car have aircon and the HP pump above the alternator?

The BoL, I think, shows the procedure for the earlier version...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

Hi jim yes mine does have aircon and lhm pumps above alternator.
have managed to extricate it now.
was quoted £40-65 to re'con it but that soon went to £65 as it's one of those valeo and not other type?.blah blah!. did have one to give me 120amp one £75.
But pulley was smaller.he was going to change it.
But was not sure on chancing it as edwardes reckons the one i have was only fitted for short time.and did notice that other one had a piece on end that might have been to tight fit where pipes go down from pump.
Plus to me other one looked slightly bigger?.
And don't want to take and then find it dont fit?.
xantia 19td estate 96-7
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Removing alternator

Post by Gregg1100 »

Oh Deep Joy---easiest way to remove this item is to bung in a hand grenade and catch it when it blasts out.
I removed radiator to get at mine- gives a good bit more room. Mine died because hydraulic oil was dripping into it from the HP pump. But still a pox job all the same.
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Removing alternator

Post by CitroJim »

Gregg1100 wrote:Mine died because hydraulic oil was dripping into it from the HP pump.
This is a very good point Greg. LHM and alternators don't mix very well at all. If your alternator is swimming in the stuff and turning green it's likely to die sooner or later...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

Mine was leaking abit. done now all running.
Mine looks like its leaking from big plug on front plus where outlets are dont think from shaft as pulley wheels dry but not a massive amount though and proberly original alternator.

what or where numbers i need to keep if replacing etc.

Plus i can replace the seals in those bungs???
xantia 19td estate 96-7