Fuel pump leak on veg oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

imperial21
My Cars:

Fuel pump leak on veg oil

Post by imperial21 »

My Td xantia is running on veg at the moment and i have noticed that the veg oil is coming out of the pump i can see it runnung down the engine :( The chap i bought it from says that it did it befor and that the problem is the return fuel pipe to the tank is blocking, he says that if i run it on just diesel it will be fine again ! Has anyone else had this problem or do they know how to over come it ?
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Pop the return pipe off the passenger side of the pump and apply an air line to it incase it is blocked.
More likely the seals have come to the end of their lives and need replacing.
Easiest way is to get hold of an older non-armoured pump, replace the seals on that and then swap pumps over.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

As Xac says, the seals are almost certainly past their best...

Do clean away any spilt veg on the engine and pump as soon as possible as if it is left it will harden (actually it will polymerise - turn to plastic) and then it will be a ****** to shift.

Xac's old pump is the only one I know that's effectively encased in a plastic coat :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

Reduce your mix Mike.

She did that only when I ran her 100%. Try about 90% and see what happens.
95 Xantia 1.9TD SX - Now sold
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

I have run a mix of about 1/3 diesel to 2/3 diesel, I thought that would be about right ! I did wonder if the pump is the problem ! How long can they last like this ?
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Leaking a little they can go on and on and on and on and on, a bit like a meeting of the Rambler's Association...

Normally it's the mess the leaks make that finally causes action to be taken. A pump has to leak very badly before performance is affected substantially.

Years ago it was common to see diesel tractors, especially those with CAV (Lucas) pumps almost dripping and still going strong...

It's the mess that's a big problem. See my earlier comments about polymerisation. The outside of your engine will end up looking like a well-used chip pan...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Does bullet proof your engine and prevent rust though...
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool