hdi fuel saver,how to fit??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

hdi fuel saver,how to fit??

Post by deano1970 »

hi,
sorry for posting this in here but it's the busiest place and very helpful.so, I have a peugeot, yes I know im in citroen, but it's a 2.0 hdi and I bought this fuel saver from e bay 190524061185.... It says to fit directly to the fuel pipes but my knowledge is zilch..... under the engine cover the fuel filter appears to have a few pipes going in and out. looking from the e bay page, It seems I fir the devices to the two big pipes with a black gauze round them but I want to make sure, It probably wont work but I thought it worth a try what with the price of fuel. anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for posting in here as well as peugeot but more response in here,cheers,deano :-)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Stick it in the glovebox, door pocket or even the kitchen draw and it will improve your fuel economy just as much I'm afraid
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

Xac wrote:Stick it in the glovebox, door pocket or even the kitchen draw and it will improve your fuel economy just as much I'm afraid
hmm....
just what someone else wrote on the peugeot forum. well, not to worry, i'm getting ripped off by the government anyway so this guy might as well do it as well. he has good feedback,some saying it saves them money, some say it makes no difference. ah well. you live and learn eh? cheers anyway
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Seriously, you're being ripped off by enough over fuel prices as it is, don't be ripped off any more by paying con artists like that for something that cannot work and has been shown not to work.

Some of the time people set up false feedback; or people that buy them want them to work so much that any change in fuel economy they observe is because of the fuel saving device the nice man sold them, and not because of the staggering amount of variables that affects fuel economy.

A general rule of thumb is that if it only costs a few quid, and can be installed in a few minutes: they would already be fitted to your car.

If you don't want to trust my opinion (as a mechanical engineer) then here's another chap who covers this and many more phony fuel savers:
http://www.fuelsaving.info/magnets.htm

-Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

A general rule of thumb is that if it only costs a few quid, and can be installed in a few minutes: they would already be fitted to your car.

If you don't want to trust my opinion (as a mechanical engineer) then here's another chap who covers this and many more phony fuel savers:
http://www.fuelsaving.info/magnets.htm

-Alex
thanks for the info. I paid for it so i put it on anyway. me just being naive i guess,hoping to save money on extortionate fuel prices......should have spent the money on a bit extra fuel eh?? cheers anyway for the info,very helpful
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

I apologise for the tone deano, I just get really worked up about such things.

At least it was only £4 and wouldn't have harmed your engine. Some things go for a lot of money under the guise of "investment opportunity not worth missing" and can do more harm than good.

At least you have a couple of nice sized neodymium magnets to play with, seriously interesting I think :)

Although on a more serious note, the price of diesel is getting to the boundary where buying a biodiesel reactor is a good investment though...
So long as you could get a nice cheap supply of "good" oil though.

-Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The 2.0 Hdi is one of the most economical engines around, the way you drive it will make more difference than anything. My 406 estate has averaged just over 50mpg over the last 2000 miles + and will do over 60 on the motorway driven at 60 mph. I know its boring but that's the way to do it. :D

Peter
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

Chlorate wrote: Although on a more serious note, the price of diesel is getting to the boundary where buying a biodiesel reactor is a good investment though...
So long as you could get a nice cheap supply of "good" oil though.

-Alex
the price of the oil follows the price of diesel

new cooking oil in the shops is more expensive, and even secondhand oil goes up in price

for anyone interested, make sure you do some decent research on processors, for example it's not usually advised to buy one which involves a plastic container
Stunned Monkey

Post by Stunned Monkey »

andy5 wrote: for anyone interested, make sure you do some decent research on processors, for example it's not usually advised to buy one which involves a plastic container
Care to elaborate on this? Was seriously considering one of these:

http://www.ukbiofuelsystems.co.uk/index ... 39e0895613
Martin
-------
Old Faithful: Silver V-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, died due to tin worm @ 259k miles
New Faithful: Silver W-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, 169k miles and counting...
Previous: Various BX's, XM V6 24,
Venturi Atlantique 300, Alpine A610
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

One problem is that the process happens at a temperature which isn't very far from the melting point of the plastic, and the mix may also have some long-term detrimental effect on it.

I was rather taken aback when talking to one kit provider, when I asked what about surplus methanol, and he said just let it bubble out. Well, it's toxic, and very inflammable, so you wouldn't want the fumes in the garage or shed.

And they can be overpriced for the actual components, so building your own with better specifications is one approach

I'm no expert, I've just read a bit on a maybe get round to it basis

Useful forum: http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/for ... php?fid=50
Last edited by andy5 on 10 May 2011, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

What % bio/derv can hdi's cope with?

DIY sphere tool
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Not much more that 0% I wouldn't think, its a completely different animal to an IDI.

Peter
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Peter.N. wrote:Not much more that 0% I wouldn't think, its a completely different animal to an IDI.

Peter
I had heard some direct injection engines couldn't even cope with more than 5% bio, hence why they don't get on with morrisons which I think is 7%

Most derv at the pumps these days I believe are 5% bio.

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I ran mine on 100% bio for half a year with no issues.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I take it we are talking proper diesel not veggie oil.