306 TD Timing Belt change problem - pulley!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mgoodlad

306 TD Timing Belt change problem - pulley!

Post by mgoodlad »

Had a go at changing my timing belt at the weekend. Got stuck trying to get the crankshaft pulley off. Had my wife in the car holding on the brakes whilst in 4th gear as per Haynes but no joy. Could it be a left hand thread? Haynes manual does not mention this so I was trying to turn it anti-clockwise while looking at it..
Another thing possibly hampering me was I had taken off the top engine mounting first so I think the engine itself was moving a bit.
Also a problem taking the top rear cover off - just couldnt get it eased out - the engine lifting bracket a bit in the way, but again I think taking the mount off was not helping as the engine leans back a bit.
Probably will just put it all back together for now as going on holiday this week. It was a "peace of mind" change as car done 58k miles and not due belt change till 72k. Visual inspection was good with no cracks or oil contamination etc. Will have a go again some time.
Any comments appreciated - especially about the crank shaft pulley being left or right hand threaded.
Its a 1996 P 306 Turbo Diesel
Regards
Michael Goodlad
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

The pulley sits on the end of the crankshaft held in position by a woodruff key. Normally, once the bolt is undone and removed, the pulley pulls away easily. Have you got the bolt undone? You're right - it's better to leave the top mounting in place until the pulley is off.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The crank pulley bolt is a normal right hand thread so you were right in trying to go anti clockwise to remove it, hope you were doing this with the engine hot, it makes a world of difference.
Dave
mgoodlad

Post by mgoodlad »

Thanks Dave and John.
Yes it was the bolt I was having trouble removing - nice to know I was trying to turn it the correct way anyway! Its all back together again now and I will try it again some time when I am feeling brave. The hot engine advice sounds good.
Tried to put on a new alternator belt while refitting everything and also failed miserably....bought it from the Peugeot dealer a while back - he said there was two for that car depending on the diameter of one of the pulleys - I took both away and kept the longer one. But seems just slightly too short. Tried everthing - soaked it in hot water, took the tensioning pulley right off etc, but impossible whatever way I tried it. Found out the engine can be slightly levered right to give more room but still no. I will note the number on the belt and post it - is it possible I have the wrong belt? I could get the old belt on again but it was tight with the pulley slacked off to max. Any tips?
I thought about stopping in a country lane on a sunny day, cut the old one off and phone the AA.
Thanks again.
Michael (a bit demoralised.....about 3 hours work and nothing replaced!) I won't give up my day job.
mgoodlad

Post by mgoodlad »

The alternator belt I am trying to fit is a genuine Peugeot belt 5750.A6 6K 1130. The letters have long been worn off the existing belt.
Would be grateful if anyone can confirm this is the correct one for a 1996 /P 306 TD with power steering but no air con.
Thanks
Michael
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I can't confirm that the belt number you quote is correct, but if you have the new and the old together, compare the lengths. The 6K indicates the number ridges and the 1130, the length in mm's. When I recently needed to replace the belt on my Xantia 2.1, I found it extremely tight. By placing it over every pulley, then as much as I could over the bottom pulley, I then turned over the engine and the belt pulled into place. It required very little pressure on the tensioner.