polishing

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

droylsden dave
My Cars:

polishing

Post by droylsden dave »

Hi Lads

Im after getting an electrical polisher, seen 1 in halfords at£30, anyone know if any good? Just read reviews 1 says bit heavy. Or has anyone got any recommendations? I will be using autoglym polish(if relevant). Just read a few reviews on argos site regarding the RAC polisher they sell, that seems ok.
Dont want to spend large sum of money

Cheers
I aint a mechanic
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Wait for vince or Gareth to look in, they will know.
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

I would agree with Steve about Vince and Gareth, however, I have the RAC one and have it gets good results with Autoglym Resin Polish (watch fleabay for this, I got a litre for £9.49) :lol:
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Im sure its the £30 halfords one I have to try on a white car a while ago. It literally vibrates and thats it, seems pretty pointless to me and doesn't work very well at all. Certainly no match for hand polishing.

On the polishing front, if im feeling like giving the car a really good polish: I first jet wash the car, wash the car with a soft wash mitt and dry with a drying waffle towel (well I do this on every wash but here is the polishing) use a clay bar and paint cleaner spray to get any bugs, tar and residue off (if you have not used a clay bar its odd to use at first but really does work), then use a paint cleaner product by Maguires, followed by Autoglym super resin polish and then an autocglym clear wax. This does take me about 12 hours and so gets done once in a blue moon. It does work wonders though.

Vince seems the guy to speak to about machine polishing, some of his mirrors look like a bonnet!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

Citroenmad wrote:Vince seems the guy to speak to about machine polishing, some of his mirrors look like a bonnet!
=D> =D> =D> very good :lol: :lol: :lol: and very true :wink:
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Citroenmad wrote: This does take me about 12 hours and so gets done once in a blue moon.
Also very true :roll:

But if it's worth doing,it's worth doing properly imo :lol:
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

XantiaDaveEire wrote:
But if it's worth doing,it's worth doing properly imo :lol:
As is everything :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i use an African grey called Ringo, the only trouble is i can then only poly sh it in the cornners :roll: ,

and he just doesnt stop talking :wink:

regards malcolm
droylsden dave
My Cars:

Post by droylsden dave »

Thanks for the help, gonna keep doing it manually
I aint a mechanic
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Dave,

You dont have to spend a fortune to get a proper polisher.......this is the one i use, its not the most expensive polisher on the market but its very up to the job...variable speed, mains fed etc. Almost certainly it will wipe the floor with the halfords or RAC ones and at a mere £11 extra :wink:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing ... d_513.html

You are more than welcome to have a go if you fancied popping round some time, your only down the road from me :wink:

To be honest though, if you are just looking for a bit of weekend polishing to keep ontop of the finish then its perfectly sufficient to wax by hand. I use AG super resin polish to clean paintwork up ready for a top coat which i usually use Megiuars NXT tec wax (liquid) available from Halfords..its dynamite stuff and super easy to apply. The final stages of polish i always do by hand as you can get mentally "closer to the paint" :lol: i feel than letting a machine whirr away at it. I use the machine for correcting defects and for bringing a finish back up to scratch again liek say after winter but once its there you seldom need a machine to keep on top of a show style finish.

If you want to talk more about polishing then get in touch and pop round... :)

Vince

Im doing a BMW E36 compact tomorrow for someone at work...probably take me most of the day :roll: :)
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

vince wrote:Dave,

You dont have to spend a fortune to get a proper polisher.......this is the one i use, its not the most expensive polisher on the market but its very up to the job...variable speed, mains fed etc. Almost certainly it will wipe the floor with the halfords or RAC ones and at a mere £11 extra :wink:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing ... d_513.html

You are more than welcome to have a go if you fancied popping round some time, your only down the road from me :wink:

To be honest though, if you are just looking for a bit of weekend polishing to keep ontop of the finish then its perfectly sufficient to wax by hand. I use AG super resin polish to clean paintwork up ready for a top coat which i usually use Megiuars NXT tec wax (liquid) available from Halfords..its dynamite stuff and super easy to apply. The final stages of polish i always do by hand as you can get mentally "closer to the paint" :lol: i feel than letting a machine whirr away at it. I use the machine for correcting defects and for bringing a finish back up to scratch again liek say after winter but once its there you seldom need a machine to keep on top of a show style finish.

If you want to talk more about polishing then get in touch and pop round... :)

Vince

Im doing a BMW E36 compact tomorrow for someone at work...probably take me most of the day :roll: :)
Interesting info about polishing.

More useful info can be found on that link that Vince posted, where there is a guide about machine polishing in the details listed about the machine he uses.

Here's the sub link.........

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/rotary-guide/info_29.html

Is that the area managers car you are attending to Vince? :wink:
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.