I think my Xantia is telling me something.....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davewithington
My Cars:

I think my Xantia is telling me something.....

Post by davewithington »

Obviously my Xantia is having a crisis, probably because I've been spending time with anolder relative, my 2CV

Week before last, what I'd diagnosed as a crankshaft oil seal leak turned out to be a blown head gasket round one of the studs. Of course this wasn't obvious 'till I'd had the seal replaced (I'm doing less these days as age advances, and I'd just sold my Land Rover, so cash in the house).

My friend in Crewe had his mechanic change the gasket, definitely did NOT want to do that one.

Had the car back on Saturday, and now it looks like the throttle cable has developed a sticky inner. Pedal returns slowly with the cable disconnected at the pump, and feels like it's got a lump in it. Just ordered a new cable, which I'll fit later in the week. Luckily I work just within walking distance, thgough I'd rather not.

What next??

Oh ytes, while I'm on, what's that thing which looks like a potentiometer attached to the throttle pedal?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dave,

It could be as simple as a duff throttle damper on the pump. Look at the front of the pump and see if there is a black thing that looks like a baby shock absorber sitting at 45 degrees between the throttle lever and the pump body. These wear and go a bit lumpy.

If it is there, remove it and throw it away. It serves no known useful purpose...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry Dave, the pot you refer to is the load pot that signals to the ECU how far you have your foot down. From knowing that and engine speed it can deduce load and adjust timing to suit...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

Didn't know mine had any sort of ECU that adjusted timing, since mine is an early Bosch pump
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:Sorry Dave, the pot you refer to is the load pot that signals to the ECU how far you have your foot down. From knowing that and engine speed it can deduce load and adjust timing to suit...
sorry jim

if its half red and half black on the casing its actually the throttle sensor for the hydractive ecu, it senses how quickly the pedal moves and has a little lever that just rests against the pedal bar
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Chris570 wrote: sorry jim
I'm definitely loosing it...

Must go to Specsavers or read threads properly...

That's it Chris... Spot on :D
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The cable has probably frayed inside the plunger barrel by the air filter.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Jim, You were haveing bad day... poor you.. :cry: :D :D

Being a VSX car, the suspension has the sensor on the throttle for the ECU so it knows what to do with the firmness..

Theres sensors for steering wheel angle too, and also body movment sensor on the front anti roll bar, right under the drivers foot well area..

If you attach a Lexia if your lucky enough to have one, and goto the suspension section and select Parameter measurements, you can actually see the sensors in there, and see if they are working, if you rock the car the body movement sensor shows up - its quite clever really!

As for throttle, yes, deffo a cable inside the outer fault as you had it disconnected...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

It was the cable, the outer had rusted through and broken just where the cable goes into the rubber whatsit on the bulkhead, so the outer wasn't anchored and moved with the inner.

Can't say I've seen a failure like that in 44 years of playing around with cars!

I used the "One size fits all" kit from AEP, and a damn good kit that is. The job was almost too easy......
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

CitroJim wrote:
Chris570 wrote: sorry jim
I'm definitely loosing it...

Must go to Specsavers or read threads properly...

That's it Chris... Spot on :D
I'm glad I'm not the only one :? :? :oops:

Peter