307 1.4 HDI no boost

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dieselnutjob

307 1.4 HDI no boost

Post by dieselnutjob »

I'm trying to help out a neightbour with his 307. He has helped me with stuff so I would like to return the favour.

I can't figure it out though.

I assumed it would have an electronically controlled turbo but it looks like the pipe that goes to the wastegate actuator comes straight off the inlet manifold so that suggests that it is a simple mechanical wastegate like the old XUDs.

The engine is gutless and won't rev behond 3000 rpm. Also it has fault codes related to EGR and air volume. Monitoring live data there is no turbo boost at all.

I had a look at disabling the EGR just as a temporary measure but blanking it off is not easy like the old 2.0L HDIs.

The turbo is on the front of the engine whilst the EGR valve is on the back and instead of a flat join it plugs into the inlet manifold into a recess with an O ring.

The inlet manifold seems to be a big molding and isn't really easy to identify, and I have no idea where the inlet manifold pressure sensor is. I suppose that if the ECU can't detect boost then it will put the engine into limp home mode to protect the turbo so I really must find that sensor.

Any ideas?
fynnbar

Post by fynnbar »

Yes, old-fashioned mechanical wastegate on these engines. Quite possible it hasn't got a boost sensor.
Best to check the actuator first, I reckon
2004 Dispatch 110 HDi
The Birdman
My Cars:

Post by The Birdman »

Unplug the airflow meter to see if theres any difference , there can`t be much wrong with it as the 1.4hdi is a great wee engine
For what we are about to receive may we be truly thank full.

http://www.citroencodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.peugeotcodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

unplugged the airflow sensor
the only difference that it makes is that the engine won't rev above 2500rpm, whereis with the airflow sensor it won't rev above 3000rpm
Also I reconnected it but disconnected the EGR solenoid instead
I notice in live data at idle that actual airflow now exceeds requested which is what I would expect with EGr disconnected. That would kind of suggest that
a: the airflow sensor is working
b: the EGR valve is not stuck open

I'd like to find the "atmospheric pressure" sensor to see whether that is on the boost side or not. It must have one because it's there in live data.

The turbo definitely isn't ECU controlled as there is a hose straight from the compressor housing to the wastgate actuator. I suppose it wouldn't do any harm to connect the wastegate actuator to a foot pump and see if it moves? Presumably I can go to about 1bar of pressure and the actuator should move.

There is no hissing noise of escaping boost that I would expect if there was a leak in the inlet manifold/piping so I'm increasingly thinging that the wastegate must be jammed open.
mickeybo

Turbo problems

Post by mickeybo »

Remove vac pipe at turbo actuator hook up mity-vac to actuator apply vac
to actuator up to 20inhg let it sit like this for approx 20 min's to see that it holds vac. check at idling what vac you have at actuator Hth Regards Mickeybo
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

but it's not vacuum operated

I found a picture of one
you can see that the pipe that operates the boost controller comes straight from the compressor and doesn't connect to anything else

image size reduced - clickable thumbnail