How to clean out the water bottle ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ozzie Kuma
My Cars:

How to clean out the water bottle ?

Post by Ozzie Kuma »

The w/screen washer water bottle on my V6 seems to need a clean, it does not fill easily,.. & it smells, is there something on how to remove/ clean the bottle on this site or can someone explain please?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

98 Xantia V6 MK2
95 Xantia VSX
boeingmech

Post by boeingmech »

try steradent (not sure of spelling) for cleaning false teeth
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I used various methods.

A bit of watered down tar and glue (the valeting solution stuff) works well (caution: remove bottle and pump first), just cork the output and put the cap on and shake.

A more sensible method may be a bit of washing up liquid. Remover from car first as you do not want washing up liquid on your paintwork, not to mention you don't want to drag any bits of debris up into the pipework / pump anyway.

A bit of washing powder might work well too with some hot water, although I have only used this once and that was a coolant expansion bottle. It did clean it up a treat :D internally though but their plastic is tougher and stronger than the washer bottle.

Remember to thoroughly rinse out before refitting. ;)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

I've poured washing up liquid on plenty of my cars and never had any problems
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

After a good clean out I'd be tempted, especially in a hot climate, to rinse through something like a baby bottle sterilizing fluid (like Milton) to make sure any bacterial growth is well and truly killed. There was a report back along that washer reservoirs on cars could breed and harbour all manner of nasties..

I always used to rinse Milton through our caravan water system at the start of a camping season...

If you have no Milton then a spot of thin household bleach will do the same job.

I'm going to be doing the job on Old V6 today as the washer system is a bit full of muck and regularly blocks the jets.
john alexander wrote:I've poured washing up liquid on plenty of my cars and never had any problems
Not a good idea. Washing up liquid is full of salt. Good for dishes but not cars!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
P616VKX
My Cars:

Post by P616VKX »

CitroJim wrote:
john alexander wrote:I've poured washing up liquid on plenty of my cars and never had any problems
Not a good idea. Washing up liquid is full of salt. Good for dishes but not cars!!!
Thought it tasted a bit off!

Lol.

I must say, I used to be guilty of washing up liquid in the washers in my Grannies Maestro until one day I noticed that the paint on the roof was shot to bits.

What's this Milton you speak of? I like things I've never heard of... Is it OK to use in the washer res' whilst being used as Screen Wash or is it a bottle out jobbie cos' of the paintwork?
B564PLC - Red/Grey Renault 11 GTL 'Premiere'
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Milton was the stuff we used to use to sterilise feeding implements when our kids were babies. Admittedly, that was some time ago now... You used to make up a mix of it and chuck eveything in it and let it soak...

All it is basically is very pure Sodium Hypocholrate (NaCIO aka bleach).

Empty the reservoir and fill it with a very dilute solution of bleach (say, about what you'd find in a swimming pool) let it soak for a few hours. Pump som,e through the washer jets, empty and refill with clean water with washer fluid added to taste...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Jim, do we need to hold an intervention for your drinking habbits? :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
spider

Post by spider »

Although slightly contradictory (sorry) I've always found it best if you are planning on pumping it through to unplug the jets.

This way any debris will come out of the end of the pipe and will not find itself tightly lodged into the jets themselves.
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good point Andy! In gact I did this very job on Old V6 yesterday. I had the jets off, blew them out to clear all the crud from them, then swilled the pipery out before refitting the jets and letting some of the fluid run through them...
Xac wrote:Jim, do we need to hold an intervention for your drinking habbits? :)
Oh, I don't know. I find a cocktail of Milton and screenwash on the rocks is a great pick-me-up.. It leaves you feeling very clean and bubbly....
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote: Oh, I don't know. I find a cocktail of Milton and screenwash on the rocks is a great pick-me-up.. It leaves you feeling very clean and bubbly....
Needs a sprig of mint to be right :)
spider

Post by spider »

Random but related question:

If we were talking about coolant expansion bottles, would the level sensor be unhappy at subjected to various chemicals to clean the bottle ? :?:

I cannot recall a PSA vehicle with a sensor on the washer bottle, except perhaps the 605.
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

They should be fine I would have thought Andy. They live in a fairly harsh environment normally...
spider wrote: I cannot recall a PSA vehicle with a sensor on the washer bottle, except perhaps the 605.
Xantias with headlight washers have them. Not sure about Xantias not so fitted...
Jim

Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

spider wrote:I cannot recall a PSA vehicle with a sensor on the washer bottle, except perhaps the 605.
Ph I C5s have one - at least on the Exclusive level of trim. I would imagine quite a few have it nowadays.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

How hard is it to remove washer bottle? Mine loves to leak out if above 1/4 full :(
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
1994 Citroën Xantia 1.9TD