Easy removal of the crankshaft pulley bolt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Linegeist
My Cars:

Easy removal of the crankshaft pulley bolt

Post by Linegeist »

Trial and error's a wonderful thing......I tried all sorts. Long torque bar supported on an axle stand, tapping studiously with one of those bolt loosening tools (worrying about the endfloat bearings, simple straining with the veins on my neck standing out like a martian roadmap......did it loosen? Hah! [xx(]
Then, my brain started to work........and I had an idea - just the one you understand.
It consisted of arranging a socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt with the suspension fully raised, attaching a long bar to the socket <i>and then placing the end of the bar on a sliding plate on the floor in front of the car - I used a kid's roller skate</i>. Handbrake off, gently roll the car forward with it in gear and 'CRACK!' The weight of the car turned the crankshaft against the stationary socket which slid along on its little 'trolley' and thus breaking the seal on the bolt ........ [8D][8D][8D]
Oh come on, it WAS rather good wasn't it?? [:p][:)][:)]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Well done Sunshine....go to the top of the class; I'm proud of yer.
[:D][8D][;)][:D][:)][:p]
Alan S [:o)][:D][:o)]
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Another item for the "alternative" toolbox then - I'm sure we can fill it in no time at all.
I just remembered about the 99p giant wallpaper scissors I used once to remove c-pillar trim panels and their retaining grommets without damage. Not in the same league as a rollerskate or jar-top remover though...
David
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Heres a method that i have used for years on various cars; it never faails but can be dangerous if you are not careful. Put the socket on the nut, together with an extension bar on the handle ( i use a supermarket trolley handle, of all things ); position the end of thr extension against the floor or wedge into the nearest strong bit of chassis, Put car in neutral, turn key for a brief instant, then immediatly turn off; Bolt will now be loose. As i say, it has never failed to work in 20 years of car fixing. It also works for hub nuts.
The main probleb is keeping the socket in position while you turn the key, and you MUST BE CERTAIN that you know what way everything is going to turn.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

This is the method that I used just a couple of months ago - and have used for years. I agree, if you're careful, it never fails.
Linegeist
My Cars:

Post by Linegeist »

Ouch![}:)] Sorry if I sound a wet blanket [:I], but I like to retain manual control over processes that involve large forces ....... I can envisage a situation here where a ring gear tooth strips or the starter pinion shaft bends...... [:0][:0][:0][:0]
I'm a firm subscriber to the KISS principle - Keep It Simple, Stupid! Works for me.....[:D][:D][:D]