Cam cover gasket replacement 1.9td Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Cam cover gasket replacement 1.9td Xantia

Post by admiral51 »

Hi all
My 1.9td is leaking from the cam cover gasket. I have a replacement ready to fit,just wondered if there were any tips/hints :)

Also do you retorque the bolts or just do them up tight,dont want to squash/pinch it

Thanks in advance

Colin
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Its not a bad job to do... Obviously the intercooler pipes need removing then if you remove the small manifold metal joining pipe off the manifold with the two 13mm bolts theres enough clearence to take the cover off but only just enough!!

You may need a smear of sealent when you put the metal pipe back on.. Also it may well be worth sourcing a new breather pipe to put back on chances are likely its gone brittle with the engine heat and it will split when removing or replacing which will then give you ab oil leak down the ebgine....

Just tighten the bolts sensibly but bear in mind they need to be tight enough so they dont rattle loose with engine vibration.. No doubt in the bol theres a tourque setting.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Hi Colin,

My BoL gives the torque for the "cylinder head cover", which is what you are referring to, as 15 lbs ft. A bit low for some torque wrenches, and how accurate are they? I'd rather torque it down gently by hand - if it still leaks, you can then tweak it up a little.

I assume you're replacing the rubber seal as it's gone hard with age - I've had to do this on my TD.

As Paul says, you may find the engine breather pipe has also hardened. I've had to replace mine, as it had split under the jubilee clip connecting it to the cover, which obviously gets quite hot.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

It is quite a common thing to replace as it goes hard with age.

Ensure you clean all traces of it off if it breaks up a bit from the cover.

I just gently tighten them, no need to go mad and they are small bolts although as above they need to be tight enough to not vibrate loose.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG