c5 abs pump woes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mrlogik
My Cars:

c5 abs pump woes

Post by mrlogik »

Im told after some rather pricey diagnostic testing that my abs pump is putting the car into limp mode,beeps on dash with the skid symbol and stop light, apparently its linked to the ecu [sounds bad already] and will cost £500 for a new one.
Questions,can i whip my abs pump off check the part number and get a £40 item off flea bay and live happily ever after,i doubt this highly.
Will it need a lexia to reprogram the new abs pump, this sounds likely for modern cars.
Has anyone got a better suggestion?
Scrap yard suggestions not often found amusing in this forum
:D
Has anyone had the same predicament?
c5 hdi 110 lx
Xantia hdi forte 140,000 [sold]
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Altough anythings possible nowadays I can imagine how the ABS ecu is putting the car into limp home mode ?? How did they come to that conclusion ? if your going to say there was a fault code saying something along the lines of ABS information invalid on the CAN then id get someone else to have a look before shelling out for an ABS unit.
They only need basic programing with Lexia eg tyre size & you can re use a second hand one.
mrlogik
My Cars:

Post by mrlogik »

Apparently the all singing testing machine it was put on cost £8000 pounds!! and the results where due to the wheel speed sensors for abs going faster than the pump or the pump not maintaining enough pressure for wheel speeds. It was throwing up this problem for a while and i assumed abs sensors and so did my local garage there test equipment couldnt find a fault.
I dont mind getting my local guy to remove part and il match the numbers for a s/hand replacement,better check my nearest lexia owner or invest in one myself methinks. thanks wheeler help appreciated.
c5 hdi 110 lx
Xantia hdi forte 140,000 [sold]
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

I strongly suspect that this is the wrong way round. I cannot envisage any combination of ABS faults that will put the engine into LIMP mode.
However any engine failure that puts the engine into limp mode will cause the ABS to fail. The reason being that the ABS ECU gets engine Torque data from the Engine ECU when the Engine is in LIMP mode this data is no longer valid, the ABS ECU see's this and gives a warning that is basically saying it's performance is degraded.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

mrlogik wrote:Apparently the all singing testing machine it was put on cost £8000 pounds!!
Doesent matter how much the equipment was you still need someone that can operate it & interprate the info it gives them.
cachaciero is spot on, most engine management faults will also log an ABS/torque fault .
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

wheeler wrote:
mrlogik wrote:Apparently the all singing testing machine it was put on cost £8000 pounds!!
Doesent matter how much the equipment was you still need someone that can operate it & interprate the info it gives them.
cachaciero is spot on, most engine management faults will also log an ABS/torque fault .
How true, seems to me that that the former is far more common than the latter :-)

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC