c8 starter probs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alden
My Cars:

c8 starter probs

Post by alden »

hi all
on my c8 2ltr hdi sx, im having a few probs startin. some times starts ok then intermitently wont start until 3rd 4th 5th turn on ignition sometimes blowing 2nd fuse down 20amp. when it dosnt start and fuse ok then it will start fine if I cross the terminals on starter motor.am baffled :?: :(

anyone any thoughts
BX 19 TRS
C5 SX EST 2.2
C8 2.0 SX
BernieLugg
My Cars:

Post by BernieLugg »

Possible earthing fault - have you checked the earthing points on the engine, and the dash - is it doing anything else odd?

If the starter will turn over when you short it out, but not other wise I wondering if it could be an issue with the ignition barrel, I notice you have a BX too and one of the common ailments on older BX's (BXie?) is failiure of the ignition barrel contacts which manifests in things like non working lights, and starting problems - though the wiring is different on the C8 being a Comms 2000 CanBus system.

I would possibly try some contact cleaner on the barrel, check the earthing points (you would be amazed at the problems these throw up - actually, you have a BX, so maybe you wouldnt). Failing that there is a good auto spark off North Road Preston if thats local to you?
alden
My Cars:

Post by alden »

Thanks for that bernie I,ll give it a try :P :D
BX 19 TRS
C5 SX EST 2.2
C8 2.0 SX