4HP-18 Kickdown setting - Advice, please...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

4HP-18 Kickdown setting - Advice, please...

Post by addo »

After running the "like an XM, but simpler :wink: " up the road for inspection, I am convinced it's not kicking down properly. Seemed to downshift way too soon.

Can anyone offer pointers for setting this detail - is it a hard (inflexible) measurement?

Thanks, Adam.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Do you mean it's kicking down before the pedal hits the metal Adam?

In that case you'll ned to initially check the kickdown cable adjustment..

Normally it's the little cable that is attached to the throttle butterfly quadrant. Adjust so that kikdown occurs only on full throttle...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's kicking down at very light pedal settings.

On the 4HP-18, is KD only determined by the cable, or is there internal pressure override?

Overall, it feels prehistoric, because it makes decisions based on absolutes! I realised within seconds how spoilt I am with the AL4, lurches and all. :lol:

EDIT: http://www.peugeot605.eu/letoltes/4hp18.pdf has some reasonably intelligent info. No wonder it feels ancient technology; it is!
mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

Adam,
If adjustment is similar to the HP14, then its nice and easy...

I set mine up by way of holding throttle open by hand and making sure the kickdown cable was at max level when throttle fully open... ie; full kickdown area
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
1994 Citroën Xantia 1.9TD
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Adam

You will find a furrell on the kickdown cable, this is used to set up, with the throttle closed the furrell should be 2mm away from the end of the threaded cable outer, it has probably been adjusted to make it change down sooner and will not harm the box being where it is.
The box uses throttle position, boost pressure (if turbocharged) and road speed to govern change points, only the load sensor (kickdown) is adjustable.
If you are still unhappy after setting the kickdown let me know, im a bit of a gearbox sado :oops:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Mate, I'll be unhappy for sure. :lol:

The car was last owned by (ahem) someone who rolled their own and listened to reggae - yes, really - perhaps you can see where the implied lack of focused oversight or correct maintenance is coming from. :wink:

So, I am slowly mopping up the sundry misadventures of barely-trained monkeys with second rate tool kits. I know the motor's been in and out a few times (probably twice) and there is some stuff incorrectly routed.

Will report back later today.

BTW is a furrell a furry squirrel?
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Sorry, meant ferrule.
If you find a squirrel clamped to the kickdown cable i think you will have also found your problem :lol:

Mate, I'll be unhappy for sure. Laughing
pessimist! cant own french cars with an attitude like that....................no wait, or is it owning french cars gives you an attitude like that? :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Probably the latter. :lol: Yesterday I walked up my driveway when it was (briefly) a car-free zone. It felt unusual and good at the same time. :?

The motor feels so flat and laggardly compared to my sewing-machine of a Xantia engine. The slow response of converter and sluggish shifts compounded things.

Oh, and did I mention the exhaust drone? NEVER split a PRV after the cat, into dual 3" pipes with hotdogs. :x
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:dual 3" pipes with hotdogs. :x
First of all on the subject of this car we have hamburgers and tomatos and now we have hotdogs...

You sure you're not driving a mobile fast-food joint Adam?

:lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Are you casting aspersions on my girth? :lol: Now the chips are down. :roll: :P

I have put the trans on notice; if it fails to win me over sooner than later, it gets swapped for a manual box.
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

:cry: poor little gearbox...............

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Haha! Shall I post you the 4HP-18 from my flood-ruined 605? That one's burgered.

I should have the good car back from inspection late tomorrow, so can play with the KD cable then. Oh, and will inspect all around it carefully for squirrels.