HDi Glow plug removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johntom

HDi Glow plug removal

Post by johntom »

Hi
I have been changing the glow plugs on my van (with a 2.0 hdi). 3 went ok however the one nearest the cam cover is very hard to turn and just clicks when trying to loosen it (seams to turn with difficulty but isn't coming out) - have tried wd40 etc, now i'm getting worried it might break ?

any ideas how to get it out in one piece ?
woodywoodpecker

Re: HDi Glow plug removal

Post by woodywoodpecker »

johntom wrote:Hi
I have been changing the glow plugs on my van (with a 2.0 hdi). 3 went ok however the one nearest the cam cover is very hard to turn and just clicks when trying to loosen it (seams to turn with difficulty but isn't coming out) - have tried wd40 etc, now i'm getting worried it might break ?

any ideas how to get it out in one piece ?
Hi mate get your engine hot befor you try removing it again, you will need gloves on so it don't burn you, Then start undoing the glow plug a bit at a time then tighten it back down a few turns then out again with plenty of plusgas sprayed on it. you should be able to remove it if you go steady with it just dont keep winding it out without tightening it back in a bit or it will snap or strip the threads in the head, let us know how you go.
johntom

Post by johntom »

Hi
I will have a go and report back, what is 'plusgas' ?
Many thanks
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Its just very handy for 'eating' rust around fixings where needed. :D

Aerosol is (probably) best if you can get one. Might have to shop around a bit for it I have not seen any locally for years although I've not been looking for any. I really should get some too at some point * note to self *

The YTS type assistants on some shops counters may not of heard of it :( , try a good motor factors. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Not cheap and it stinks but it has no equal for freeing recalcitrant nuts, bolts, w.h.y.

Plus Gas from eBay.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:Not cheap and it stinks but it has no equal for freeing recalcitrant nuts, bolts
It stinks even more when you set it on fire with the aid of a propane torch

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A combination of Plus Gas and heat is a winner for freeing off those nuts you speak of Steve. But do be beware that Plus Gas is very flammable and burns with a nasty, smoky yellow flame...

Our local factor sells it for what eBay wants. Expensive but worth its weight in gold...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...