setting the timimng on my xud9

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the jester

setting the timimng on my xud9

Post by the jester »

ive been reading the Haynes manula regarding setting the timing on my xud9

i think i may have upset the timimng when i swapped the pumps from the stock 98 pump to an earlier 306 TD pump, both bosch.#

haynes describes locking the crank / cam & fuel pump pulleys,

as i need to start from scratch, with the 3 wheels locked , this suggests to me this is a starting point for the timimng

in other words

if i pull the cam belt off, whirll all 3 indpendentlu, then lock them in place using the locking holes,

is this close to where the tiiming needs to be, for then setting by dial indicator
( without bending valves etc??)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

That should do it, do lock the crankshft though, I have got away with just marking it several times but I have also got it one tooth out! If you bend a wire coathanger into a starting handle shape you can slide it along the back of the starter and find the locking hole without to much dificulty.

Once you have all the sprockets timed corectly, you should be able to see the mark left by the old pump, set the replacement there and it shouldn't be to far out, if not set it about half way, it should start but may be a bit retarded, they usually need to be set on the slightly advanced side.

Peter