xantia S2 Radio Woes Fixed at last

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

xantia S2 Radio Woes Fixed at last

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi, recently I noticed that my radio was becomming difficult to tune.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of this problem in their xantia?

some one has suggested that the aerial lead may have pulled out of the back of the unit but I am confused as to how this would happen unless it became dislodged when I recently changed the heater blower motor under the passenger side dash.

are there any common problems that may cause this not being able to tune in the radio?
it might be helpful to be in the know before I start ripping out half of the dashboard to access the back of the radio unit.

many thanks in advance.

Nigel.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 16 Apr 2011, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

You're right Nigel, can't see how the aerial lead could fall out, nor can I see how it could be dislodged while working on the heater blower.

It's been ages since I've driven Juliet, but I'm pretty sure her radio sometimes has trouble holding onto stations, and if memory serves, the S2 are fitted with a signal amp, but I may be wrong.
If they are, it failing could explain our radios' issues.
Or it's just another point that makes the S2 radio inferior to the S1's :D
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

I wonder if using car washes has corroded the connection to the aerial in the roof?

the radio worked fine until recently and it does retune to the nearest local station depending upon the strongest local signal this feature can be switched off, maybe yours is turned on.

it seems that I am still going to have to remove the radio anyway and inspect the aerial behind it and maybe even bench test it, I dont fancy moving to digital yet but if I am pushed over the edge by a naff radio then so be it.

cheers and regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have the same problem with my 406 and I'm sure its aerial related, its improved since we had a spell of dry weather so I think its moisture ingress, one of these days I'm going to take it off and have a look, won't take long but I'm a bit busy at the moment.

The problem is weak signal, the set searches for stations but can't find any unless they are local and powerful.

Peter
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Lexia frequently shows up aerial/signal faults on later cars than Xantia - I think it's probably the same root cause but a better path of diagnosis.

Cheers, Adam.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I must get mine set up :oops:
falling-out-with-my-car

Right Ive found the problem at long last Ive had time and weather to do it.

I removed the stereo and stuck a single strand of wire into the centre of the aerial socket and presto the radio tuner picked up all the usual stations straight away.

there is some oxidisation in the aerial plug but not much I can do about it, I cleanned it but the problem wont go away, plug it in and the radio doesnt tune in the earth and centre pole are somehow somewhere touching.

I even took a stanley knife to the roof linning and removed the ariel mast to clean it and reaseal around the mount with some silicone.

in the end about 3 inches from the aerial plug behind the stereo I cut back the outer sheath and severed the screening and the signal is back to 100% reception.

I taped the screening up with insulation tape so it wouldnt cause problems elswhere.
The radio casing is earthed anyway and it appears that the aerial earth isnt needed.

Job done better reception than I ever had before no crackling no interfearence even the rds is working again.

so chaps there is the solution I hope it helps you to.
now to fix the extreemly slow moving rear wiper arm.
regards Nigel.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Nigel, with the greatest of respect I feel you've only cured the symptom and not the underlying problem.

Removing the screening for that distance exposes the inner of the coaxial cable and thus it acts as a short and badly screened (in the screened from signals sense) aerial. It'll be fair where reception is good but in marginal areas it'll be disappointing. Try taking the A303 just past Stonehenge and see if you can hold good R4 reception on it. That's always my benchmark test of radio performance!!!

I'm sure you'll find the pre-amplifier at the base of the aerial is the real culprit. It's not the most reliable of devices and I believe my New V6 needed a replacement a while back to overcome a very similar problem.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Is that where two signals go in and out of phase while you are driving Jim?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:Is that where two signals go in and out of phase while you are driving Jim?
It's as you descend into Winterbourne Stoke Peter, the signal just gets very weak. There's another stretch that's very bad as you drop down toward the A36 junction at Codford. The signal becomes weak and choppy and the stereo decoder cannot hold on to it. RDS does not come into play and once I did an experiment and found only one weak R4 signal available in those localities.. What we used to call a fringe area back in the good old days...

We still are a fringe area for TV in Milton Keynes but we do at least nowadays have a local FM transmitter for Rs 1 to 4.

Can't say as it sounds like phase cancellation and both the Blaupunkt in the MK1 and the Clarion in the MK2 struggle although the Clarion, with the aerial pre-amp, does seem to perform a little better...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks Jim. I have noticed that FM reception is very poor along sections of the A303 even on my XM radio which is normally brilliant.

Somewhere I drove some distance with radio 4 MW practically fading out and them coming back loudly with some phase distortion then clearing, it did this at regular intervals, probably 1/2 wavelength apart, I have never come across this before and can only assume that two stations on the same frequence were pretty well in a straight line in front of and behind me.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: Somewhere I drove some distance with radio 4 MW practically fading out and them coming back loudly with some phase distortion then clearing,
Now there's an interesting phenomenon Peter :D Shades of Radio Luxembourg late at night...

You never know, there may have been a bit of skywave getting in on the act, especially if it happened in the evening or around dusk...
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Nah, it's the buried alien control tower under the henge interfering ;)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:Nah, it's the buried alien control tower under the henge interfering ;)
"We are observing your Earth and we want to make a contact with you - baby!"

A Lyric from the Carpenters - "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft (The Recognized Anthem of World Contact Day)" 1976...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »